History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fox House fox House Antiques

A Grade II Listed Building in Woodstock, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8478 / 51°50'52"N

Longitude: -1.354 / 1°21'14"W

OS Eastings: 444598

OS Northings: 216773

OS Grid: SP445167

Mapcode National: GBR 7WJ.0HZ

Mapcode Global: VHCX6.HT2C

Entry Name: Fox House fox House Antiques

Listing Date: 13 February 1969

Last Amended: 27 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1203996

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253167

Location: Woodstock, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX20

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Woodstock

Built-Up Area: Woodstock (West Oxfordshire) B

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Woodstock

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Woodstock

Listing Text

WOODSTOCK OXFORD STREET
SP4416NE (East side)
10/175 No.30 (Fox House) and No.32
13/02/69 (Fox House Antiques)
(Formerly listed as No.30,
No.32)
GV II
Formerly part of Marlborough Arms Hotel (q.v.), including Assembly Rooms to
left; now house and shop. House to right (No.30) of c.1750; No.32 to left of
c.1770. Limestone ashlar, rendered to rear; rear of No.32 is partly
weatherboarded. Gabled stone slate roof, hipped to left and of concrete tiles to
rear; No.32 has cupola with lead roof, which lights stairs; ridge and end stacks
of stone finished in brick. Double-depth plan. Georgian style front. No.30 of 3
storeys. 2-window range has flat stone arch with wrought-iron brackets
supporting flat hood over mid C19 six-panelled (2 glazed) door; raised storey
bands; keyed stone lintels over mid C18 six-pane sashes with thick glazing bars,
and late C18 six-pane sashes to second floor. Late C18 dentilled wood eaves
cornice is continued over 2-storey, one-bay front of No.32: this has 2-storey
stuccoed late C18 Venetian window set above late C18 lunette crowning late C19
wood-mullioned shop window. Extension of 1985 to rear of No.30. Interior of
No.32: stone bolection-moulded fireplace of c.1720 in room to left; C18 panelled
doors set in panelled reveals and mid C18 fireplaces on first floor; moulded
cornices, are C18 to left but C20 elsewhere. Passage leads to rear hall, which
has doorway to No.30 and very fine open-well staircase of c.1750 which has
turned balusters set on closed string, bolection-moulded dado and dog-gate (the
latter brought here in 1970s); top landing has bolection-moulded panelling, and
stair is lit by fine lantern. Interior of No.30, built as Assembly Rooms c.1770;
decorative chandalier medallions; ground floor cornice has fluting with
medallions and delicate acanthus-leaf; stairs are C20; on first floor is
panelled dado, moulded cornice and beams and unusual late C18 fireplaces with
inner architraves of c.1840 and ducks nest grates. Thick sprung dancing floor
was formerly filled with chaff.


Listing NGR: SP4459816772

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.