This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0025 / 52°0'8"N
Longitude: 1.1895 / 1°11'22"E
OS Eastings: 619021
OS Northings: 238583
OS Grid: TM190385
Mapcode National: GBR VPV.FJM
Mapcode Global: VHLC0.KXPS
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204060
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277321
Location: Woolverstone, Babergh, Suffolk, IP9
Civil Parish: Woolverstone
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Woolverstone St Michael
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 1938 WOOLVERSTONE WOOLVERSTONE PARK
7/42 Church of St Michael
Church. C14. C15 tower, C16 porch. Extensive restoration of 1862 by Sir G G
Scott. Additions and alterations of 1888 by St Aubyn and Wadling for Captain
Hugh Berners. Tower of rubble flint and septaria with ashlar dressings and
flushwork to buttresses, renewed flushwork battlements: Otherwise, knapped
flint with ashlar dressings (exterior walls of original section refaced) except
porch of orange brick in English bond with dark brick diapering. Plain tile
roofs. Perpendicular style. West tower, south porch, original nave and chancel
now form scuth aisle to nave and chancel of 1888 and vestry to north. 2-stage
tower on plinth with diagonal off-set buttresses. 5-light west window with
Perpendicular tracery with restored mullions. Upper stage off-set on string
course. 2-light Tudor-arched belfry opening. Single-light window to south,
stair turret to north. String course with fleurons, angle gargoyles, battlement
with crocketed pinnacles. Porch: Rendered plinth, diagonal off-set buttresses,
2-light windows with Y-tracery under hoodmoulds to sides. Tudor-arched entrance
under hoodmould. Panel above now blank. Moulded tie beam to gable on short
corbelled posts with arch braces. Studding and bargeboards to gable. South
aisle: 4-light C19 window. Former chancel: priests door and 2 C19 windows. C19
nave, chancel and vestry have 2 and 3-light Perpendicular style windows.
Foundation stone set in buttresses on north side of chancel reads: 'Laid by Hugh
Berners Captain RN to the Glory of God Feast of St Michael and All Angels 1888'.
East end of chancel: Band of flushwork beneath 5-light Perpendicular style
window. Interior: Porch has brattished wall plates, cambered moulded tie beams
on short posts on carved leaf corbels with arch braces with ornamented spandrels.
Moulded beams and chamfered joists. Pointed entrance with continuously-moulded
jambs and restored headstops. Tall tower arch, original plank door to stair
turret. C19 4-bay arcade on cylindrical piers. Crown-post roof to nave and
aisle. Hammer beam roof to chancel. C15 octagonal font on base with supporting
lions has panels with alternating lions and angels. C19 Gothic style cover.
Piscina to south chapel. C19 fittings include pulpit, rood screen and canopied
stone sedilia by Thomas Earp. Vestry contains wall monument with broken segmen-
tal pediment with hatchment on Corinthian columns containing plaque with Latin
inscription to Phillip Bacon of Shrubland d.1635. Bust to the Ven.Henry Denny
Berners (1801-1834), by R Westmacott Jun.,1839.
Listing NGR: TM1901938579
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings