History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Rectory House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cliffe and Cliffe Woods, Medway

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4463 / 51°26'46"N

Longitude: 0.493 / 0°29'34"E

OS Eastings: 573338

OS Northings: 174867

OS Grid: TQ733748

Mapcode National: GBR PP1.CFL

Mapcode Global: VHJLF.HXH5

Entry Name: The Rectory House

Listing Date: 21 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1204092

English Heritage Legacy ID: 172849

Location: Cliffe and Cliffe Woods, Medway, ME3

County: Medway

Civil Parish: Cliffe and Cliffe Woods

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Cliffe-at-Hoo St Helen

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Higham

Listing Text

CLIFFE-AT-HOO CP RECTORY ROAD
TQ 77 SW
5/11
South side
21.11.66
The Rectory House
II*

Hall-house, now house. Early C14, altered 1679 and rebuilt 1870 by Rev.
H.R. Lloyd. flagstone with knapped flint in bands, restored in Bath stone,
with some red brick in Flemish bond. Irregular plain tiled roofs. Open
hall plan with service end to west (demolished), hall running west-east and
upper end to east. 2 storeys with stacks to rear and on end of low projecting
wing to right. Very irregular fenestration, a mixture of cross-windows and
2-, 3- and 4-light windows in surrounds with Caernarvon arches. Doorways with
2-centred arched to north and in angle between hall and projecting parlour wing
to right in 2-storey red brick extension. Interior: 2 service doorways in
west wall of hall with pointed arches, hollow chamfers and broach stops.
Third door in south end wall possibly led to former stairs. Doorway at south-
east corner of hall in south wall and smaller one in east wall. Window in
north wall with stone seats. See Arch. Cant., vol. XI; Collectanea Historica:
Essays in Memory of Stuart Rigold, 197 , K. Gravett, The Rectory House at Cliffe.

Listing NGR: TQ7333374942

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.