History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade I Listed Building in Sawley, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8777 / 52°52'39"N

Longitude: -1.2994 / 1°17'57"W

OS Eastings: 447246

OS Northings: 331365

OS Grid: SK472313

Mapcode National: GBR 7H0.N8S

Mapcode Global: WHDH3.0XHS

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 22 October 1962

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1204277

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82227

Location: Sawley, Erewash, Derbyshire, NG10

County: Derbyshire

District: Erewash

Civil Parish: Sawley

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Sawley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Long Eaton

Listing Text

PARISH OF LONG EATON TAMWORTH ROAD
SK 43 SE
4/42 SAWLEY
(South Side)
22.10.62 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
GV I

Church. C11, C13 and C14 with C15 clerestory and tower,
restored 1889. Rubble and ashlar sandstone with sandstone
dressings, deep moulded plinth to tower and moulded sill bands
to all except south aisle. Shallow pitched leaded roofs hidden
by embattled parapets with ridgeback copings and with coved
eaves band to nave and aisles, steeply pitched slate roof with
stone coped east gable topped by ridge cross to chancel. West
tower, nave with north and south aisles and large chancel, also
south porch. Two stage west tower has full height, stepped
clasping buttresses to all corners, projecting embattled
parapets with ridgeback copings and gargoyles and tall recessed
octagonal stone spire above. First stage has a pointed moulded
west door and slit windows with moulded surrounds to north and
south, also a large circular clockface above to north and a
diamond shaped niche, formerly for a clockface to west. Moulded
stringcourse above and flat headed 2-light louvred bell openings
to all sides with ogee headed lights and pierced spandrels, set
in moulded surrounds. Above, the spire has cusped ogee headed
lucarnes to four sides. North aisle has full height stepped
buttresses between all the openings and to either end. West
wall has strange 3-light panel tracery window with pointed top
cut off by the parapets. North elevation has three 3-light
pointed windows with triple stepped lancets. Between western
windows is the north door, mostly renewed but with pointed
moulded arch on nook shafts which are now missing, and with
stringcourses at impost level and to top of arch with two
vertical strings between, also with C19 lantern above. East
window to aisle is similar to northern ones. Above there are
four C15 flat headed 2-light clerestory windows with cusped
double lobe headed lights, set in deeply chamfered surrounds.
Chancel to east is built of rubble and has two C13 Y-tracery
pointed windows to west and a C16 flat headed 2-light window
with cusped semi-circular headed lights to east. East elevation
has full height stepped clasping buttresses and central 5-light
pointed window with C19 tracery. South chancel elevation has a
3-light C16 window to east, similar to northern window and a
cusped headed doorcase with relieving arch above to west.
Beyond to west is a C19 Y-tracery window which has a C13
external tomb niche below it. To western end of chancel is a
full height C15 chapel with 4-light panel traceried four-centred
arched window to front and similar 2-light window to side.
South aisle has a 3-light pointed east window with reticulated
tracery and three similar windows to south elevation. To either
corner of aisle there are low clasping buttresses and between
two western windows is the south porch which has a double
chamfered doorcase and blocked flat headed 2-light windows to
either side. West elevation of aisle has a single lancet and
above there are four C15 clerestory windows similar to those to
north. Interior has a wide nave with late C13 arcade to north
and south of tall double chamfered pointed arches on octagonal
piers with moulded capitals and bases, except eastern responds
which are three clustered shafts. Simple Cll semi-circular
headed chancel arch with moulded impost band and small C15
pointed doorcase into the tower. Chancel roof is C19 but nave
and aisle roofs are C15, although all have been considerably
restored. Nave has central carved bosses to tie beams. Chancel
has the unusual feature of a stone screen to the east end behind
the altar, with a simple chamfered pointed doorcase plus studded
oak door to north side. In eastern jambs of windows just to
west of screen are inserted cusped headed niches with corbels to
base, which are probably contemporary with the screen, ie: C13.
Below the north window there are two plain alms cupboards with
wooden doors and to the base of the southern window is a simple
piscina which has a stone drain through the wall. The chancel
also has handsome Perp oak screen and choir stalls; screen with
panelled base, cusped tracery to open panels above and
crenellated top, stalls of similar design with panelled front
and backs each with crenellated tops and bench ends with blind
cusped panelling. Carved and gilded reredos is early C20.
Inserted into one of the southern windows of the chancel is a
large C19 organ. The nave has a fine octagonal oak pulpit with
pendented tester dated 1636, and some robust oak C16 pews from
which C20 copies have been made for the rest of the church.
North and south aisles each have pointed cusped piscinas to east
ends and each also have parts of another Perp screen of similar
design to that in chancel. South aisle has a crude octagonal
stone font with wooden cover, of indeterminate date. There are
numerous fine monuments including two C15 ones to the Bothe
family in the chancel. Against the north wall is the tomb of
Roger Bothe who died 1467 which has a base decorated with blind
quatrefoils, over which is an ogee headed canopy with crocketed
pinnacles. The back wall is panelled and the top of the base
has small brasses of Roger Bothe, his wife and their eleven
children. Set in the bay-window-like chapel to south side of
chancel is the tomb chest of John Bothe who died 1496. This has
a full size effigy to top of base which is decorated with blind
quatrefoils. The top of the window has a panelled vault with
painted shields. Also in the chancel is an early C18 wall
memorial to Walter Colette with achievement to top and scull
below, and two mid C19 slate and white marble wall memorials.
Below the chancel arch is another tomb chest with similar base
to the others and a polished marble top with brasses to Robert
Bothe and family who died 1478. Adjacent, to north, is an early
C19 wall memorial with slate obelisk over marble urn. South
aisle has two small brass memorials, one to Edward Edmonson who
died 1589, the other c1937. Above there are two early C19
marble wall memorials, and one of c1852 to the Trowell family.
Also to west end of aisle is a slate plaque to John Trowell who
died 1766. North aisle has two re-set C13 effigies and a stone
slab with brasses to Richard Shylton who died 1510. There is
also a wall war memorial and an enamelled brass plaque
commemorating the restoration of the church in 1889. North and
south aisles have late C19 stained glass east windows and the
east window to south side of the chancel has similar glass.
There is also a c1950 stained glass window in the south aisle
and a war memorial stained glass window in the north aisle. In
the tower there is a large hatchment dated 1767.


Listing NGR: SK4724631365

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.