This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9214 / 52°55'16"N
Longitude: -1.3747 / 1°22'28"W
OS Eastings: 442138
OS Northings: 336176
OS Grid: SK421361
Mapcode National: GBR 7GB.TGL
Mapcode Global: WHDGV.VTKS
Entry Name: The Moravian Chapel/Church
Listing Date: 10 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204382
English Heritage Legacy ID: 82260
Location: Ockbrook and Borrowash, Erewash, Derbyshire, DE72
Civil Parish: Ockbrook and Borrowash
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Ockbrook All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
PARISH OF OCKBROOK THE SETTLEMENT
SK 42 36
6/76 (North Side)
Moravian chapel. 1751 with minor C19 alterations, mostly to the
interior. Built as the centrepiece of the Moravian Settlement.
Red brick with gauged brick and painted ashlar dressings,
painted stone plinth and plain band over the windows and also
moulded stone cornice. Slate roof with stone copings, two
strange circular, vents to ridge and central pediment with a
painted wooden square cupola over. This cupola has semi-
circular headed arches to each side, balustraded to base, and
colonnettes to each corner, supporting an ogival leaded roof
with ball finial and weather-vane to top. Five bays and single
storey with internal gallery. Main elevation has three large
semi-circular headed windows with stone imposts and keystones
and margin light glazing bar sashes. To either side is a wide
semi-circular headed doorcase, again with stone imposts and
keystone, with double panelled doors and divided fanlight.
Above each door is a glazing bar sash under segment head with
stone keystone. Above in the centre of the pediment, which runs
the width of the three bays, is a black clockface erected in
1827. Interior is plain with a raised and fielded panelled
gallery on fluted iron columns to north and ceiling rose and
cornice. The internal arrangements were changed in the C19 and
the original C18 pulpit with its panelled and pedimented back
panel was re-set on the south wall, also C19 pews were inserted.
Listing NGR: SK4213836176
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings