This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9169 / 52°55'0"N
Longitude: -1.3148 / 1°18'53"W
OS Eastings: 446168
OS Northings: 335714
OS Grid: SK461357
Mapcode National: GBR 7GL.4DS
Mapcode Global: WHDGW.SY27
Entry Name: The Old School House
Listing Date: 2 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204445
English Heritage Legacy ID: 82281
Location: Risley, Erewash, Derbyshire, DE72
Civil Parish: Risley
Built-Up Area: Sandiacre
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Risley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
PARISH OF RISLEY DERBY ROAD
SK 46 NE
2/95 (North Side)
The Old School
School house, now house. c1720 with later C18 alterations.
Endowed by Elizabeth Grey of Risley Hall in her will of 1720.
Red brick in flemish bond with yellow brick headers and gauged
brick dressings. Steeply pitched plain tile roof with moulded
stone copings on plain brick kneelers and large gable brick
stacks. Double plain first and second floor bands with
vitrified headers and a stepped and dentilled brick cornice.
Two storeys plus garrets and five bays. T-plan. Central raised
doorcase with wide plain surround, chamfered to inner edge and
double raised and fielded panelled doors. Above a shell canopy,
on straight brackets, which cuts through the first floor band.
To either side are single, late C18 glazing bar sashes under
flat arches, set in disturbed brickwork. Above there are five
2-light timber cross windows with leaded casements, again under
flat arches. Similar windows to gable walls and rear wing.
Interior has the original dogleg column on vase baluster
staircase with moulded handrail through two floors. It also has
all the original raised and fielded six panelled doors, central
ovolo moulded beams to each room, a richly moulded original
fireplace in the upper east room and original cornicing in the
lower east room. This house was built as part of the Latin
school complex and it appears on a map of 1722 which is housed
at Derbyshire County Record Office, although the Derbyshire
Victoria County History states that it was built in 1771. It is
possible that this is the date of the alterations.
Listing NGR: SK4616835714
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings