History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael and St Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in Melbourne, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8211 / 52°49'15"N

Longitude: -1.4242 / 1°25'27"W

OS Eastings: 438900

OS Northings: 324994

OS Grid: SK389249

Mapcode National: GBR 6G9.0RR

Mapcode Global: WHDHF.3C24

Entry Name: Church of St Michael and St Mary

Listing Date: 10 November 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1204556

English Heritage Legacy ID: 83078

Location: Melbourne, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE73

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Melbourne

Built-Up Area: Melbourne (South Derbyshire) B

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Melbourne St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Melbourne

Listing Text

SK 38/3925,
6/94

PARISH OF MELBOURNE,
CHURCH CLOSE (west side),
Church of St Michael and St Mary

10.11.67

GV

I

Parish church, c1133, when the living of Melbourne was given to
the Bishop of Carlisle, but the building was not completed until
early C13. C15 alterations, tower probably heightened in 1602,
when the present bells were hung, and chancel partly rebuilt at
similar date. Major restoration by Sir G G Scott from 1859 to
1862, also with later repairs. Ashlar with some rubble stone
and shallow pitched leaded roofs hidden behind plain parapets
with ridgeback copings, aisles and chancel with coved eaves
string courses and plain eaves bands elsewhere. Unusual plan
with aisled nave, western narthex with flanking towers,
crossing tower with transepts and lower two bay chancel. West
elevation has a large central semi-circular headed C12 doorcase
with five orders, three roll-moulded and two chevron-moulded,
set on plain nook-shafts with carved capitals, some figurative,
some simple volutes and some with interlacing foliage. Above
there is a continuous band with a 4-light flat headed C15 window
over, which has trefoil headed lights and incised spandrels,
plus a long dripmould. Shallow gable above again. To either
side the unfinished towers have wide flat clasping buttresses
and projecting C19 parapets on plain corbel tables. West
elevations of both towers have single C19 lancets, and side
elevations of each have C12 semi-circular headed windows with
roll moulded arches on plain nook-shafts with carved capitals,
plus sill bands and small C19 lancets above. South elevation of
south tower also has narrow slit staircase windows to western
buttresses. North elevation of the nave has a slightly advanced
section of stone work to west end with a much restored C12 door,
which has two roll moulded orders and one plain with figurative
capitals to the nook shafts. To east, the aisle has C12
continuous sill band with three flat C12 buttresses below, up
tot he last bay of the nave which is plain. Above there are
four C15 3-light windows with trefoil headed lights and incised
spandrels. Above again there are five C12 roll-moulded
semi-circular headed clerestory windows with scalloped capitals.
South nave elevation is similar except there are four C12
buttresses below the sill band and a blocked C19 door to the
east end of the aisle. Above the clerestory has five early C13
double pointed lancets. Beyond to east on the north side is the
northern transept which has continuous C12 sill bands to aisle
and clerestory levels, a C16 clasping buttress below the sill
band to the western corner and a full height C12 buttress to the
eastern corner. North elevation has a central C12 window,
similar to those to the towers with figurative capitals. Two
similar smaller windows above with scalloped capitals and two
more similar windows at the same height to western facade. East
elevation has a C16 panel tracery window, set in the blocked C12
arch which lead into the former chapel, below and a 3-light C15
window, similar to those in the north aisle above. Southern
transept has similar south elevation as north elevation of
northern transept, except that the western corner has a C12
buttress with small staircase windows in. West elevation of the
south transept has one C12 window at clerestory level, similar
to the northern ones and the east elevation has similar blocked
C12 arch to base but with a C19 geometric tracery window within
and with C12 plain window above. Above both transepts is the
central crossing tower which has attached C12 shafts to each
corner up to the top of the original C12 tower, those to south
side are less mutilated than those to north. Northern side has
a later clockface in moulded stone surround and the east side
has two tiers of three semi-circular C12 openings which would
originally looked in to the C12 chancel, those to lower tier
have a large plain opening to centre with narrower roll moulded
stilted arches to either side and to those above are of similar
size and all plain. Above the tower has a tall bell stage
erected c1602. This has a chamfered sill band with single,
double chamfered pointed, louvred bell opening, plus returned
hoodmould to each side and a coved string course with central
gargoyles below embattled parapets. The chancel has rough
stonework to west on either side where the transept chapels
originally abutted the chancel. Above to south side there is
one blind semi-circular headed arch, the remains of a former
frieze of blind arcading. To east each side has a C12 window,
similar to those to the transepts and beyond there are flat C12
buttresses. Beyond again the original C12 stonework curves
inward and disappears into the later stonework, which has
stepped clasping buttresses with cyma reversa moulded copings to
eastern corners. East elevation has a central 5-light C17
window with stepped trefoil headed lights and a returned
hoodmould.

INTERIOR has five bay north and south arcades of C12
stilted chevron and roll-moulded semi-circular headed arches on
large plain columns with angle spurred bases and scalloped or
volute capitals. Between the arches above the capitals there
are double half-shafts up to clerestory level, possibly for
transverse arches. Northern clerestory passage has a C12
arrangement with stepped tripartite openings of semi-circular
headed roll moulded arches on plain columns with scallop
capitals. Southern clerestory has early C13 arrangement with
double pointed roll moulded arches on central column, plus
moulded capital, except for the eastern bay which has one small
semi-circular arch attached to the east of the C13 opening. To
west end of the nave the narthex has a central C12 arch with
similar mouldings to the nave arches, set on compound piers. To
either side from the aisles into the towers there are unmoulded
semi-circular arches on plain impost bands and there are similar
narrower arches from the towers into the central bay of the
narthex, set on triple half shaft responds. The three bays have
crude groin vaulting with a gallery above. Each tower has a
roll moulded C12 window on the aisle side with carved capitals
on the nook shafts. All C12 windows have similar internal
mouldings. East end of nave has similar arrangement of arches
into the crossing and transepts, as in to the narthex. Crossing
arch is set on double half shaft responds with cushion capitals.
Similar arches to other sides of the crossing tower, with carved
capitals and bases towards the chancel. Nave aisles and
transepts have continuous C12 sill bands and transepts have
similar band at clerestory level. The crossing has triple
semi-circular headed arches in three tiers above the main arches
with full height half shafts between each arch and sill bands at
each level. The lowest tier of arches are open into the
transepts and the nave and have a larger plain central arch
flanked by roll moulded stilted arches with scalloped capitals.
Above there are roll moulded blind arches all of the same size
and above again there are plain blind arches. Lowest arches are
plain on the transept side but have roll mouldings on the nave
side, that to centre with moulding in the soffit of the arch and
those to sides with it on the outside of the arch. Between the
north transept and the chancel there is a deep squint through
the crossing pier. Chancel roof is C16 and other roofs are C19
copies. South side of the chancel has a blocked segment headed
doorcase to west end on south side, otherwise it its very plain.
The crossing has C19 timber choir stalls with trefoil headed
arcaded fronts and C20 timber screens across the transept
arches. South transept is completely filled with a C20 organ
but north transept has simple late C19 pews and altar rail, a
wooden altar with mosaiced front and a small alms cupboard to
north wall. Nave has C19 pews with quatrefoils on the bench
ends and an octagonal stone pulpit of similar date with four
polished marble colonnettes round central stem and carved heads
in roundels to each side. Font in the narthex has large C12
circular stone bowl set on four square columns and central stem,
with C19 font cover. South aisle has a small pointed piscina to
eastern end and a C20 timber screen across the transept arch
similar to those in the crossing. North side of the crossing
arch has a fragment of C13 wall painting. There are six diamond
shaped painted hatchments from C19 to the Coke/Melbourne family,
two in the chancel, one over each transept arch from the aisles
and two more in the north aisle. The chancel has one slate and
white marble memorial to Rev Middleton who died 1830 and the
crossing has one small mosaiced memorial to Frank Elms of c1914.
Inscription in the stone of the crossing arch records that the
timber screens were dedicated to Edward Harcourt who died 1935.
North transept chapel has several wall memorials to the Cantrell
family, three early C19 slate and white marble memorials with
Gothick aedicules and one brass memorial dated 1890. In the
south transept there is an early C14 tomb niche with effigy and
there are also three early C17 marble slabs to the Hardinge
family. North aisle has one circular memorial with moulded
alabaster surround and slate plaque to Mary Godkin, who died
1783, and four early C20 memorials, three mosaiced ones to the
Tasker family, and one in slate and white marble to John Knight
who died 1900. To west end of the aisle there is a war memorial
and beneath the arch into the tower is a simple stone plaque to
Sir Roger Curtis who died 1954. West side of the north tower
has an inset C13 child's coffin lid and an C18 gravestone to
Richard Dalman. South aisle has one slate and white marble
memorial to the Briggs children, who all died in 1846 and
another similar one to Penelope Lowe, who died 1830. There is
also a fine painted stone memorial to William and Isabel Dawson
who died c1614, which has a bowed inscribed plaque set in
elaborate strapwork surround with columns to sides topped by
steeple finials. West end of the aisle has one early C19 slate
and coloured marble wall memorial to John Pasteur and wife of
c1819. There are several stained glass windows but none of any
age. The chancel windows all have stained glass of c1870, those
to east and south in Chartres style. Stained glass in north
chapel has all been dedicated, that to upper east window to
Leonard Robin of c1918, those to upper north windows in pre-
Raphaelite style to H Cantrell of c1909 and lower north window
of c1862 to Joseph Cantrell. North aisle has stained glass war
memorial window and one window dated MDCCCCXXIL. The one
stained glass window in the south aisle is dedicated to Thomas
Haines, who died 1869. Chancel originally had an apsidal east
end and flanking apsidal chapels to the transepts, a plan type
reminiscent of the Carolingian tradition which has led people to
assume that the church was planned much earlier than 1133,
although it is unlikely that such a grand building would have
been erected without important ecclesiastical backing.

Sources -
see Rev J Deans, 'Melbourne Church' 1843, J J Briggs, 'History
of Melbourne' 1852, A S Jacques, 'Melbourne' 1933. Also see
bibliography in History and Guide to Melbourne Church' by R
Barman 1974.


Listing NGR: SK3890224995


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.