This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5956 / 53°35'44"N
Longitude: -0.3477 / 0°20'51"W
OS Eastings: 509450
OS Northings: 412268
OS Grid: TA094122
Mapcode National: GBR VV0V.JT
Mapcode Global: WHGGB.MWMF
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 6 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204608
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165913
Location: Croxton, North Lincolnshire, DN39
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Croxton
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Croxton St John
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TA 01 SE
6/11 Church of Saint John the
Parish church. C13 north arcade, early C14 tower, C15 tower parapet.
Restorations of 1878 by James Fowler of Louth included partial rebuilding
chancel and north aisle, new porch, repairing windows and re-roofing nave.
Tower and nave of chalk rubble, squared blocks and ashlar with some
ironstone; red brick to lower section of chancel (in English bond to south)
with chalk ashlar above; limestone and ironstone dressings, limestone ashlar
tower parapet. Westmorland slate roof. West tower, 3-bay nave with north
aisle and north porch, 2-bay chancel with vestry adjoining north side.
Quoins throughout. 2-stage tower: moulded ironstone plinth and angle
buttresses. Tall first stage with ogee-headed west single-light window and
narrow square-headed south window. String-course, stepped-in top stage with
twin belfry openings with ogee-headed lights and polygonal shafts. Moulded
string-course, coped embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Nave:
south side has chamfered plinth, outlines of 3 blocked arcade arches
containing re-set blocked C14 pointed wave-moulded doorway, 2-light and 3-
light pointed windows with C19 restored reticulated tracery and original
headstops. North aisle: chamfered plinth, sill string-course, two C19 twin
lancets; re-set C13 west lancet. Chancel: angle buttresses, chamfered
plinth to east side; two C13 south lancets, one with restored head, C19
stepped lancets to east with hood-mould. Vestry: re-set C15 square-headed
2-light window with Perpendicular tracery and restored hood-mould. Porch:
chamfered plinth, C19 pointed outer arch with mouldings dying into chamfered
jambs; narrower similar inner arch. Interior. Triple-chamfered tower arch
dying into imposts, deeply-splayed tower lancet. North arcade of pointed
double-chamfered arches on filleted quatrefoil piers and responds with
thinner filleted shafts between the foils, plain moulded capitals, square
abaci and bases. C19 pointed double-chamfered chancel arch with inner order
on corbels. Mutilated double sedilia in south chancel wall, truncated by
east wall, with trefoiled ogee-headed openings and octagonal shaft. South
window contains good C14 stained glass panel of the Crucifixion and other
fragments. Good octagonal C14-C15 font with moulded column and base.
N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 225;
drawing by C Nattes, 1795, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.
Listing NGR: TA0945012268
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.