This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4386 / 51°26'18"N
Longitude: -0.4682 / 0°28'5"W
OS Eastings: 506566
OS Northings: 172179
OS Grid: TQ065721
Mapcode National: GBR 26.0NC
Mapcode Global: VHFTQ.T3VH
Entry Name: Welsh School
Listing Date: 2 February 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204676
English Heritage Legacy ID: 363226
Location: Spelthorne, Surrey, TW15
District Council Ward: Ashford North and Stanwell South
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: St Hilda Ashford
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 07 SE 4/41 Welsh School
1857. Architect Henry Clutton. Gothic; partly Ruskin inspired. Main block
two and a half storeys ragstone with Bath stone dressings and quoins. Plinth,
first floor cill band, cornice over first floor, steep gabled coping to dormers.
Slate roof. Two front chimneys with shaped stone stacks. Central cross gabled
clock and belfry. Ten bays to centre with gabled 2-light dormers; triple cusped
lancets below, 3 central bays with variant Gothic glazing and a parapetted
square oriel bay on first floor. Flanking lower gabled breaks with stepped
windows to gable ends and 4. dormers to returns; the west return has a pointed
relieving arch on first floor to 3 windows with shaped upper corners. Main
block has central moulded arch doorway with nook shafts and tympanum with Prince
of Wales' Feathers. Doorway flanked by smaller windows with crocketted pinnacle
shafts. Lower service ranges and 2 courtyards to rear. Later gym-block to
west not of special interest.
Listing NGR: TQ0656672179
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings