This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5824 / 53°34'56"N
Longitude: -0.383 / 0°22'58"W
OS Eastings: 507147
OS Northings: 410748
OS Grid: TA071107
Mapcode National: GBR TWR0.WJ
Mapcode Global: WHGGJ.27W0
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Ascension
Listing Date: 6 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204679
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165932
Location: Melton Ross, North Lincolnshire, DN38
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Melton Ross
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Brocklesby Park
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
MELTON ROSS A 18
TA 01 SE
6/29 Church of the Holy
Parish church. 1867 by Ewan Christian, incorporating masonry from earlier
medieval and C18 churches. Chancel decorated in 1890 by Messrs W 0 Powell
of London and Lincoln; nave decorated in 1895. Limestone and ironstone
ashlar. Westmorland slate roof. Gothic Revival style. 3-bay nave with
south porch and west bell-cote, single-bay apsidal chancel with vestry
adjoining north side. Nave: plinth, buttresses; 2-light and 3-light
segmental pointed traceried windows; west side has single traceried lancets
either side of a central buttress supporting a projecting bell-cote with
twin shouldered-arch opening and pierced roundel above, coped gable and
ashlar cross finial. Chancel: stepped plinth, sill stringcourse; single and
twin trefoiled lancets with hood-moulds. Porch: angle buttresses, pointed
shafted outer arch of 2 orders. Interior. Pointed moulded chancel arch on
shafted responds with foliate capitals. Collared scissor-beam nave roof,
ribbed vaulted chancel roof. Chancel arch, roofs and frieze at top of nave
wall all have rich polychrome painted decoration. Late C18 and early C19
marble wall tablets to Holgate family at west end of nave. Ornate C19 font.
N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, p 315;
Stamford Mercury, 9 January 1891, p3.
Listing NGR: TA0714710748
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings