History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hales Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cheadle, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9937 / 52°59'37"N

Longitude: -1.9695 / 1°58'10"W

OS Eastings: 402142

OS Northings: 344041

OS Grid: SK021440

Mapcode National: GBR 37G.6X2

Mapcode Global: WHBD3.Q0BS

Entry Name: Hales Hall

Listing Date: 2 May 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1204735

English Heritage Legacy ID: 274876

Location: Cheadle, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST10

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Cheadle

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Cheadle St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Cheadle

Listing Text

SK 04 SW CHEADLE C.P. OAKAMOOR ROAD
(North side)

6/73 Hales Hall
2.5.53
GV II*

Small country house. 1712. Built for Mrs Grosvenor (grand-daughter
of Sir Matthew Hale, Lord Chief Justice of England 1670-1676). Late
C19 additions. Red brick with even rusticated stone quoins and plinth,
floor band and surround; hipped tile roof set on widely projecting moulded
cornice broken over quoins with extravagant dentil course; leaded flat
centre from which the brick stacks rise. Fine Baroque style, double-
pile plan. Entrance front of two storeys and attic, five windows;
glazing bar sashes in moulded surrounds with raised keystones, the centre
first-floor window has in addition drapes of foliage and moulded consoles
and an apron, visually a blocking course for the central entrance with
swan necked pediment bearing a coat of arms, set on a frieze and pilastered
surrounds running down to steps at plinth level, the entrance retains the
keystone of the fenestration, in this case dropped over a rectangular
overlight and double (C19) 3-panel doors; three dormers are set in roof,
all pedimented and with ball finials, the centre segmental; lead downpipes
with ornamental heads; the front is flanked to left by a single-storey
late C19 projecting billiard room of derivative style which part obscures
the original service wing which was short and set within the quoins back
and front; lower than the main house but without such fine details
(remodelled mid C19) and upsetting the symmetry of the remainder.
Garden front at right angles to the entrance and facing south, almost
identical but the bays are slightly narrower and the entrance played down
(steps now missing) with cornice only and set on a concave frieze and
moulded surround without pilasters; the double four panel doors may be
original. Rear elevation: a further 5-window front with segmental head
glazing bar sashes, many now blocked or part blocked. Central stair window:
a larger, lower insertion with round-arch glazing bar head; the heads
of the originals are visible over; single storey gabled extension to centre
of rear. Interior: the exterior implication of a double pile is not
borne out on the interior due to alterations. All the ground floor rooms
are fully panelled and with 8-panel doors. Entrance hall raised panels,
elliptical arch to stair hall, fireplace with stone bolection moulded
surround; room to left also panelled and with original panelling over
fireplace with C19 surround. Library: reset panelling with bookcases
formed into window and door recesses; moulded cornice; C20 tiled fireplace.
Stair Hall: formerly with two stair windows, now with a single late C18
window placed at higher level. Dog-leg stair; wide curtail and small
scroll; heavy moulded handrail swan-neck ramped at angles and on two barley
sugar twist balusters to each tread; open string with carved consoles,
delicately picked out with foliage; balustrade at head of stairs also
swan-necked at angles; plaster ceiling has deep oval wreath of foliage
and moulded cornice (not so well lit as it would have been with the
original windows); elliptical arch enters centre (double pile) bed chamber
passage. First-floor rooms have panelling to dado level and 8-panel
doors. Bedroom over Library has heavy-moulded cornice and bolection
surround to fireplace; similar cornice to bedroom over entrance hall.

SK 04 SW CHEADLE C.P. OAKAMOOR ROAD
(North side)

6/73 Hales Hall (continued)


Servants staircase in service wing almost spiral with short straight
runs of heavy handrail and closed string with turned balusters and heavy
newels; possibly part re-used C17 material; attic storey reached only
by service stairs; central passage retained, boarded and battened doors
with strap hinges of C17 type.


Listing NGR: SK0214244041

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.