This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1559 / 51°9'21"N
Longitude: -0.1247 / 0°7'29"W
OS Eastings: 531240
OS Northings: 141296
OS Grid: TQ312412
Mapcode National: GBR JK2.K83
Mapcode Global: VHGSQ.S6FR
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholemew
Listing Date: 11 June 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204775
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287315
Location: Burstow, Tandridge, Surrey, RH6
Civil Parish: Burstow
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Burstow St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 34SW BURSTOW C.P. CHURCH ROAD
8/76 Church of St. Bartholomew
Church. C12 enlarged and remodelled in C15, tower added in C16 and Church
restored in 1884-95 by B. Ferrey. Roughly coursed rubblestone, formerly
mortar rendered, with ashlar dressings to windows and buttresses; weatherboarded
lower stage/tower on stone plinth, wooden shingles above; plain tiled roofs
to remainder. Nave and south aisle with tower to west, porch to south, chancel
to east and pent roofed vestry to north-east; two stage tower to west with aisles
to lower stage under pent roofs concealing buttresses for upper stages; upper
stage battered with broach spire crowned by metal weathervane, and angle pinnacles
above. Projecting rectangular louvred openings to first stage of tower;
Perpendicular style for majority of remaining windows. Renewed window on west
end of south aisle, two original windows to south side of chancel under cambered
arches. Double planked wood doors with strapwork hinges to west end, arched under
flat head with trefoil decoration to spandrels. South door with renewed stone
surround and quatrefoil spandrel decoration in timber framed half open gabled porch.
C15 Priest's door to south side of chancel.
Interior: Three bay nave arcade to south on piers of quatrefoil section placed
diagonally with moulded capitals supporting corbelled arcade. Open crown post
roof to nave with C15 chancel arch. Tower to west: four corner posts on stone
bases with diagonal bracing. Blocked Norman window visible on north side of chancel.
Fittings:- Piscina to north chancel wall - small quatrefoil basin and chamfered
shelf. Perpendicular style stone font, octagonal bowl on stem with quatrefoil on
the bowl and on cove between bowl and stem.
Windows:- east window in chancel dedicated to Sir Jan Flamstead the First
Astronomer Royal who was rector of the Parish 1684-1719.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp,122-5
Listing NGR: TQ3124041296
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings