History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tower to Church of St James

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sutton St. James, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7451 / 52°44'42"N

Longitude: 0.067 / 0°4'1"E

OS Eastings: 539625

OS Northings: 318388

OS Grid: TF396183

Mapcode National: GBR L0M.ZQL

Mapcode Global: WHJP2.085D

Entry Name: Tower to Church of St James

Listing Date: 26 November 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1204853

English Heritage Legacy ID: 197940

Location: Sutton St. James, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE12

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland

Civil Parish: Sutton St James

Built-Up Area: Sutton St James

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Sutton St James

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Tydd Saint Giles

Listing Text

SUTTON ST. JAMES CHAPEL GATE
TF 31 NE
(north side)
6/94 Tower to church of
St. James
(formerly listed as
part of church of
St. James)

G.V. II*

Church tower. C15, restored 1879 and 1894. Ashlar, red brick,
rubble, in the main rendered. Parapet with 2 gargoyles remaining
to the south side. Diagonally buttressed, set on a moulded
plinth and of 3 stages with bands. Stair turret to the south
east. West side with re-set upper part of blocked moulded arched
C15 doorway with rectangular hood mould, the spandrels decorated
with blind tracery. Quatrefoil frieze each quatrefoil
contanining a single shield alternating with stylised flower.
Single C15 arched 3 light window over with panel tracery, all
lights blocked apart from a portion of one which has a single
lozenge lead glazing bar casement. Hood mould and worn label
stops. Small rectangular light over. East side with basket
arched doorway with plank door. Over is a single lozenge lead
glazing bar casement with evidence of former nave roof line
above. Over is a single quatrefoil set into a rectangle. South
side with single similar quatrefoil. 4 C15 pointed segmental
arched bell chamber openings each with 2 arched and cusped
lights, the remains of some tracery, hood mould and human head
label stops. South opening obscured by single clock face. Stair
turret, terminating under the bell chamber stage, has a single
rectangular opening, over is a single quatrefoil set into a
lozenge with brick relieving arch. Above is a sundial, a single
decorative cross arrow loop and finally a single small
rectangular opening. The nave was destroyed during the
Commonwealth.


Listing NGR: TF3962518388

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.