History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in Tydd St. Mary, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7456 / 52°44'44"N

Longitude: 0.1409 / 0°8'27"E

OS Eastings: 544611

OS Northings: 318591

OS Grid: TF446185

Mapcode National: GBR L0R.SHY

Mapcode Global: WHJP3.47CZ

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 30 June 1966

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1204871

English Heritage Legacy ID: 197947

Location: Tydd St. Mary, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE13

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland

Civil Parish: Tydd St Mary

Built-Up Area: Tydd St Mary

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Tydd St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Tydd Saint Giles

Listing Text

TYDD ST. MARY CHURCH LANE
TF 41 NW
(east side)
7/101 Church of St. Mary
30.6.66
G.V. I

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, restored 1869. Ashlar,
coursed rubble, red brick and render. Lead and slate roofs.
Coped gables with single ridge crosses to the east nave and
chancel. Parapets to north aisle and chancel. Buttressed. Tower,
nave, aisles, south porch and chancel. Angle buttressed C15
tower in the main of brick, set on a moulded ashlar plinth with
embattled brick parapet with single gargoyle to each side, the
east side, however, with 2. Topped with ashlar octagonal spire
with 2 stages of 2 light traceried lucarnes and single stage of
single light lucarnes. Tower of 3 stages with bands and with
stair turret to south east. West side with moulded arched C15
doorway with hood mould, worn label stops and brick relieving
arch. Flanking the head are single arched and cusped ashlar
niches containing single C20 carved figures. Single ashlar
shields in cusped rectangles under. Single similar niche and
figure over the doorway but with hood mould and finial, the band
rises here to accommodate the niche. The south side has a single
small arched and cusped light. Above to the west side, is a
single C14 arched 2 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould
and worn human head label stops. The south and north sides have
single rectangular lead glazing bar fixed lights with brick
relieving arches. 4 arched bell chamber openings each with 2
arched and cusped lights, cusped tracery, hood mould and worn
human head label stops, under the west opening is a single clock
face. The stair turret of 3 stages has a four-centred arched
doorway to the south side, the west side has 4 narrow rectangular
lights. The north aisle with continuous sill band, being broken
by the doorway and buttresses and damaged to the west wall.
North wall has a single C14 window with 3 arched and cusped
lights and cusped tracery under a flat arch, hood mould and label
stops. To the left is a C14 moulded arched doorway with hood
mould and label stops. Further left is a single restored C14
segmental arched window with 3 arched and cusped lights, the
single central light with brattished transom and arched and
cusped light under. Hood mould and label stops. On the far left
is a single blocked C16 brick and ashlar window with 3 arched
lights and tracery. In the re-entrant angle between the east
buttress and the north aisle north wall is a single ogee arched
and cusped niche under a flat arch. The east wall has a single
heavily restored early C14 arched 2 light window with cusped
Y tracery. The C15 rendered brick clerestory has 5 segmental
pointed arched windows each with 2 arched and cusped lights, some
tracery, hood mould and label stops. The chancel is set on a low
chamfered plinth and has a continuous sill band. The north side
with 2 worn gargoyles has a single restored early C14 arched
window with cusped Y tracery as, hood mould and C19 label stops.
To the left is a single 3 light early C14 arched window with
cusped intersecting tracery, hood mould and human head and animal
label stops. The east chancel has a single large C19 arched 5
light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and human head and
animal label stops. The south chancel with 2 gargoyles has a
single 3 light early C14 arched window with cusped intersecting
tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. To the left is a
single blocked arched window with hood mould and worn C14 label
stops. Further left is a moulded arched doorway, the sill band
forming a hood mould and a single early C14 arched window with
cusped Y tracery, hood mould and worn label stops. On the far
left is a moulded rectangular blocked window opening, the sill
band forming a hood mould. The south aisle with continuous sill
band broken by the buttresses and porch has in the south wall 2
heavily restored 3 light C14 windows each with arched and cusped
lights and cusped tracery under a flat arch. To the left is the
gabled porch with sundial mounted onto the ridge. Double
chamfered arched entrance, inner order supported on single pair
of octagonal responds. Inner moulded arched doorway with hood
mould and label stops. To the left is a single similar 3 light
window. Clerestory corresponds to the north, but is not
rendered. Interior. 5 bay C13 nave arcades with circular columns
and responds, moulded capitals with some unfinished decoration.
Spurs to bases and double chamfered arches. Hood moulds with
some human head label stops to the nave side. Chamfered and
moulded tower arch supported on circular responds with fillets,
brattishing to capitals. Outer uncut brick arch. C14 double
chamfered chancel arch supported on octagonal responds with
moulded capitals. C19 traceried screen. The north wall of the
chancel incorporates C12 zigzag masonry. Continuous sill
band/hood mould to doorway, window openings with hood moulds and
label stops, in the main human head. Early C14 double piscina to
south wall with 2 arched and cusped niches with decorative blind
tracery to the spandrel, continuous hood mould with right human
head label stop. To the right is the early C14 tripartite
sedilia with inner arched and cusped order and outer moulded
arches with moulded jambs and bases. Continuous hood mould with
human head label stops. To the right of the north east respond
in the nave is a 4 centred arched blocked former rood loft
doorway. Over is a single opening under a flat head. South
aisle with C14 ogee arched and cusped piscina. East wall with
corbel being the remains of C12 volute capital. West wall of
south aisle with basket arched doorway and C18 plank door. C15
font with octagonal bowl, the panels decorated with angels
holding shields. C17 oak chest. Some old floor tiling. C15
nave roof with moulded and chamfered beams and curved braces.
Some moulded beams to aisle roofs. Memorials. Incised late C14
slab to William de Tide, of knight with sword, dagger and lion at
feet. Incorporated within the north wall are fragments of a C15
tomb chest with cusped rectangles contanining single shields.
Good memorial to Sir Olement Trafford, 1786. The inscription
tablet flanked by fluted pilasters, fluted entablature with
cornice surmounted by a coloured cartouche with coloured shield
on the apron. A good memorial to Iohannis Trafford, 1719, by
Walton of Wisbech. The draped tablet being flanked by single
cherubs. Acanthus decorated apron and broken pediment containing
an urn. Fine memorial to Sigismond Trafford, 1740, the tablet
flanked by turned down torches and foliate drops which support
decorative brackets. Decorated cornice with draped portrait
medallion over. Apron with worn coloured shield. That to Thomas
Sharpe, 1781, by Andrews of Wisbech, with decorated apron and
fluted entablature with patera, cornice surmounted by an urn.


Listing NGR: TF4460718588

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.