History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Footbridge, Road Bridge and Sluices

A Grade II Listed Building in Tydd St. Mary, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7411 / 52°44'27"N

Longitude: 0.1727 / 0°10'21"E

OS Eastings: 546770

OS Northings: 318155

OS Grid: TF467181

Mapcode National: GBR M29.2H1

Mapcode Global: WHJP3.MCFF

Entry Name: Footbridge, Road Bridge and Sluices

Listing Date: 26 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1204893

English Heritage Legacy ID: 197956

Location: Tydd St. Mary, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE13

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland

Civil Parish: Tydd St Mary

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Tydd St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Sutton Bridge

Listing Text

TYDD ST MARY NORTH LEVEL MAIN DRAIN
TF 41 NE
8/110 Footbridge, Road bridge
and sluices

II

Road bridge and sluice gates with parallel footbridge. 1859 and 1866, constructed
for the North Level Commissioners by Robert Stephenson. Repaired 1881, 1945 and
1967. Black coloured red brick, ashlar, wood and iron. East side with 2 brick
piers with painted ashlar coping. Projecting from the centre and forming a triangle
is a single pair of wooden gates with iron fittings. Single similar gates flank
the piers. Piers support a C20 plank bridge with aluminium railings. Behind is
the brick parapet of the road bridge, coped with ashlar and surmounted by decorative
cast iron railings with decorative brackets. Parapet with plaque inscribed
'Constructed for the North Level Commissioners by Geo. Robt. Stephenson Esq. CE
AD 1859'. Projecting from either side of the bridge are single similar ashlar coped
sloping brick walls. Running parallel for 7 metres and then swept out for about
5 metres. In front of the sluice gates is the iron footbridge of 3 arched spans,
the central span being wider, supported on paired slim columns. Arches with
keystones and spandrels decorated with open fretwork. This pattern to both sides
of footbridge. Inscribed 'Henry Grissell London 1866'. West side with 2 ashlar
coped brick cutwaters with 3 sets of gates. The cutwaters support a plank foot-
bridge holding 3 sets of C20 ratchets. Parapet and railings as east side but with
small gate giving access to footbridge. Adjacent the sluice on the east side are
3 sets of C19 iron ratchets.


Listing NGR: TF4677018155

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.