History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gate Piers and Walls to South West and West of South Garden and Wall, Gate Piers, Mounting Blocks and Dog Kennel to South and West of Manor House at Burton Agnes Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Burton Agnes, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0533 / 54°3'11"N

Longitude: -0.3174 / 0°19'2"W

OS Eastings: 510246

OS Northings: 463234

OS Grid: TA102632

Mapcode National: GBR VP7K.2R

Mapcode Global: WHHFC.3D30

Entry Name: Gate Piers and Walls to South West and West of South Garden and Wall, Gate Piers, Mounting Blocks and Dog Kennel to South and West of Manor House at Burton Agnes Hall

Listing Date: 17 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1204905

English Heritage Legacy ID: 167776

Location: Burton Agnes, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO25

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Burton Agnes

Built-Up Area: Burton Agnes

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Burton Agnes St Martin

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Burton Agnes

Listing Text

BURTON AGNES MAIN STREET
TA 1063-1163
(north side, off)

11/20 Gate piers and walls to
south-west and west of
South Garden and wall,
gate piers, mounting
blocks and dog kennel to
south and west of Manor
House at Burton Agnes
Hall.

GV II

Walls, gate piers, mounting blocks and dog kennel. Early C17 with later
additions and alterations including those of c1730 and mid C20, dog kennel
of 1859. Pinkish-red brick in English garden wall bond with ashlar and
brick dressings. Walls approximately 3 metres high, mainly with rubbed
brick plinth, dentilled cornice and rubbed brick copings, bell-shaped on
section, otherwise with flat or chamfered ashlar coping. Wall to south of
South Garden has been raised and abutts Gatehouse (qv). Wall to west of
South Garden has inserted but now blocked C18 pedestrian entrance with
moulded ashlar architrave; entrance to stable yard has rebuilt gate piers,
square on plan, with moulded ashlar plinths, replacement moulded ashlar
cornices and pineapple finials, double ornamental wrought-iron gates between.
Wall to south of Manor House has gate piers to each end, square on plan with
moulded ashlar bases and cornices, those to west have ball finials on shaped
bases, those to east are surmounted by winged eagles. 2 ashlar mounting
blocks of 3 and 5 steps abutt to south; between these is an ornamental dog
kennel with plaque inscribed "HB 1859" built for Henry Boynton: ashlar
plinth, quoined jambs to blind entrance with moulded hood and mask keystone,
shaped gable surmounted by finials. Wall to west of Manor House ramps
upwards above C18 pedestrian entrance, an 8-fielded-panel door in ashlar
architrave with keystone. To north end, an elliptically-arched, blocked
entrance.


Listing NGR: TA1027563220

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.