This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9989 / 51°59'55"N
Longitude: -0.9877 / 0°59'15"W
OS Eastings: 469597
OS Northings: 233866
OS Grid: SP695338
Mapcode National: GBR 9XQ.P3N
Mapcode Global: VHDT8.T0QZ
Entry Name: 3, Well Street
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205288
English Heritage Legacy ID: 377246
Location: Buckingham, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Buckingham
Built-Up Area: Buckingham
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Buckingham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP6933 WELL STREET
879-1/6/151 (West side)
Formerly known as: No.3 Meeting House of Plymouth Brethren
Nonconformist chapel, formerly meeting house, now garage.
Built 1726, enlarged early C19 and altered C20. Red brick in
Flemish bond with limestone dressings to front, body of
coursed limestone rubble, and hipped plain-tile roofs
concealed by parapet to front. Rectangular plan.
2-storey, 3-window front. Wide central C20 garage entrance
with double-leaf doors, flanked by windows with round-arched
heads and raised stone surrounds with imposts. Small, leaded
panes to heads in fanlight pattern. C20 three-light window
below stepped stone sill of window to left. Sill of window to
right has been cut by C20 glazed door, approached by 3 stone
steps. Windows to 1st floor have small, leaded panes, raised
stone surrounds with segmental-arched heads with key blocks
and stepped stone sills. Partly rendered coursed squared
limestone plinth. Central bay breaks forward slightly and has
stepped stone 1st-floor string course; full-height brick
pilaster strips either end. Hollow-chamfered stone cornice and
INTERIOR: now divided horizontally with floor incorporating
remains of gallery round 3 sides. Early C19 former gallery
staircases to front corners. Roof structure of original core
survives complete. Front was brought forward 10ft in early C19
alterations, probably reusing earlier dressings in new front.
Built for a Presbyterian, afterwards Independent congregation
formed c1700. Last used as a meeting house by Plymouth
Brethren who met on upper floor.
(RCHME: Stell C: Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels &
Meeting-houses in C England: HMSO London: 1986-: 6).
Listing NGR: SP6959533865
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings