History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The College Including Former Kitchen to South West

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lingfield, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1764 / 51°10'34"N

Longitude: -0.0152 / 0°0'54"W

OS Eastings: 538837

OS Northings: 143774

OS Grid: TQ388437

Mapcode National: GBR KLC.2ZM

Mapcode Global: VHGSL.PP9K

Entry Name: The College Including Former Kitchen to South West

Listing Date: 11 June 1958

Last Amended: 25 April 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1205289

English Heritage Legacy ID: 287414

Location: Lingfield, Tandridge, Surrey, RH7

County: Surrey

District: Tandridge

Civil Parish: Lingfield

Built-Up Area: Lingfield

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Lingfield St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Lingfield

Listing Text

TQ 34 SE
9/173
11/6/58

LINGFIELD C.P.
COLLEGE CLOSE

The College
including former
Kitchen to south west

GV
II*

House. Circa 1700 using some C15 materials and restored in 1973. Brown brick
below, alternate bands of fishscale and diamond pattern tile hanging above,
Horsham slab main roof laid in diminishing courses, plain tiled roofs to
extensions and rear. 2 storeys and attic under central hipped Horsham slab
roofed, leaded casement dormer. End ridge stacks on main house with moulded
wood string course over ground floor and coved moulded wooden eaves. East front:
symmetrical rare survival of 5 wooden mullion and transome 36 pane leaded
casements across first floor. Central 6 panel door to ground floor under leaded
transome light in architrave surround and flat hood over on moulded brackets.
Single storey C20 garage extension to right end. Wings at right angles to rear
(west). Former Kitchen to rear south west. One storey, roof partly collapsed
with 2 leaded arched casement windows.

Interior: Largely restored; early C18 staircase with turned balusters to
balustrade. Built on the site of the Old College founded in 1431 by Reginald,
Lord Cobham, for the training of Chaplains, several of whom are buried and
commemorated in the Parish Church adjacent to the site.

PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p.349.

Listing NGR: TQ3883743774

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.