History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in Worsthorne-with-Hurstwood, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7878 / 53°47'16"N

Longitude: -2.1891 / 2°11'20"W

OS Eastings: 387635

OS Northings: 432401

OS Grid: SD876324

Mapcode National: GBR FS4M.VX

Mapcode Global: WHB84.B2S1

Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 17 December 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1205660

English Heritage Legacy ID: 184044

Location: Worsthorne-with-Hurstwood, Burnley, Lancashire, BB10

County: Lancashire

District: Burnley

Civil Parish: Worsthorne-with-Hurstwood

Built-Up Area: Worsthorne

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Find accommodation in
Burnley

Listing Text

SD 83 SE WORSTHORNE WITH CHURCH SQUARE
HURSTWOOD Worsthorne

3/38 Church of St. John the
Evangelist
17.12.1968
GV II


Church, now church and assembly rooms. 1834-5, said to be by
Lewis Vulliamy (Pevsner), with chancel 1894 by W.B. Colbram, west tower
1903 by Austin and Paley; altered internally. Squared sandstone (chancel
rockfaced, tower snecked), slate roof. Early English style. Wide 5-bay
nave (formerly a galleried auditorium) has shallow buttresses and a large
lancet in each bay. Added chancel in matching style, with triple lancet
east window. Stout west tower of square plan and 3 unequal stages, the
upper half set back, has broad clasping pilaster-strips, moulded arched
west doorway with shafts and hoodmould (up 5 steps protected on one side by
modern wrought iron railings incorporating symbols of local history and
economy, e.g. shuttle, mine winding gear, cattle); above the door coupled
lancets with hoodmoulds, small chamfered windows to ringing chamber, single
small arched belfry louvres, flanked by roundels, and set-back parapet with
corner cops. Interior: laterally partitioned in 1973 making 2-storey
assembly rooms in west end; galleries removed 1902, plaster removed 1929;
moulded arches to chancel and organ house, and elaborate open-work roof
trusses survive. History: closely connected with Hargreaves and Thursby
families of Ormerod Hall, colliery proprietors and principal contributors
to all stages of building.


Listing NGR: SD8763532401

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.