This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.41 / 53°24'36"N
Longitude: -2.982 / 2°58'55"W
OS Eastings: 334816
OS Northings: 390803
OS Grid: SJ348908
Mapcode National: GBR 74M.YL
Mapcode Global: WH877.5K75
Entry Name: College of Technology and Museum Extension
Listing Date: 12 July 1966
Last Amended: 19 June 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205724
English Heritage Legacy ID: 213794
Location: Liverpool, L3
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Liverpool
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Liverpool Our Lady and St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SJ 3490 NE BYROM STREET
49/181 College of
12.7.66 Museum Extension (Formerly
listed under William Brown
G.V. II* Street)
College. 1896-1909. E. W. Mountford, sculpture by W.
Pomeroy. 3 storeys with basement. 7 bays, and 9 bays to
William Brown Street. Convex facade. Basement ground and
1st floors rusticsted. 2nd floor has attached Ionic
colonnade. Entablature and balustraded parapet. Basement
has lunette windows. Ground and 1st floor windows paired,
those to ground floor with Gibbs surrounds, those to 1st
floor with Doric colonnettes. Entrance has round arch and
rusticated aedicule with open pediment surmounted by
figures. Double stair with bronze lamp brackets. 2nd floor
has tripartite windows with balustraded balconies and
colonnettes surmounted by entablatures. Central window has
aedicule with open pediment. William Brown Street facade
has projecting end bays with 2nd floor, applied rusticated
Ionic porticoes with figures in the tympana; Niche recesses
have aedicules with open pediments surmounted by figures.
Windows around recesses. The windows between have
architraves, keystones and entablatures. Balustraded walls
with panelled piers. Interior has wall with coupled marble
Doric columns. Entrance with panelling and saucer dome, 2
bays with moulded coved ceiling lights, nautical scenes.
Good fireplace and 1/2 glazed doors with original plates.
Listing NGR: SJ3481690803
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings