History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in Weston upon Trent, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8444 / 52°50'39"N

Longitude: -1.411 / 1°24'39"W

OS Eastings: 439765

OS Northings: 327597

OS Grid: SK397275

Mapcode National: GBR 6FX.Q2N

Mapcode Global: WHDH7.9RBR

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 10 November 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1205737

English Heritage Legacy ID: 83243

Location: Weston upon Trent, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE72

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Weston upon Trent

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Weston-on-Trent St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Melbourne

Listing Text

SK 32 NE PARISH OF WESTON-UPON-TRENT CHURCH DRIVE
3/256 (South Side)
10.11.67 Church of St Mary
I
Parish church. C13, C14 and C15, restored 1876-7 by Jolley and
Evans. Ashlar and coursed squared stone plus some rubble, with
chamfered plinth and shallow leaded roofs plus embattled
parapets to nave, aisles and tower and plain parapets to
chancel. Nave and aisle parapets are continuous. Nave with
north and south aisles, lower chancel, west tower and south
porch. C15 ashlar two stage west tower has stepped full height
clasping buttresses to all corners and deep moulded plinth.
West elevation has pointed 2-light, deeply chamfered, window
with restored panel tracery, and small staircase window to
north. North and south elevations blank. Above there are
deeply chamfered, pointed louvred 2-light bell openings to all
sides with returned hoodmoulds and a continuous chamfered sill
band. Above again there is a coved string course with central
gargoyle to north side, and embattled parapets with crenellated
bases for corner pinnacles, now missing. Thin octagonal spire
over with four plain lucarnes near base and trefoil headed
lucarnes near top. North aisle is C14 and constructed of
coursed stone with a continuous moulded sill band. West
elevation has low blocked segment headed door, with cusped
tracery 2-light window above. West corner has stepped clasping
buttress and north elevation has blocked pointed double c
hamfered doorcase to west, plus two reticulated 3-light windows
with ogee headed hoodmoulds. Between the windows and to east
end there are stepped buttresses. East elevation has similar
4-light reticulated tracery window. Continuous coved
stringcourse above, below parapets. To east, the chancel has
two thin C13 lancets to north elevation, a four-centred arched
east window with three stepped C20 lancets, within a returned
hoodmould, flanked by corner buttresses, and three chamfered
lancets to south elevation with low chamfered doorcase between
western windows. Western lancet has been lengthened. East
elevation of south aisle has pointed 3-light lancet type window
with large tracery circle to top which is possibly C13. East
corner has clasping buttress with gableted top, similar
arrangement to west corner. South elevation has two tall
3-light C13 stepped lancet pointed windows with hoods and
central stepped gableted buttress. Beyond to west is a C17
timber framed porch on stone plinth with close studding to east
side, rebuilt in brick to west side, and with slated wooden
gates to front. West end of aisle has chamfered lancet with
hoodmould. Coved stringcourse over has intermittent nailhead
decoration. Inner doorcase is C13, a pointed double chamfered
arch and it has a restored medieval door. Interior has three
bay north and south arcades with double chamfered arches on high
columns and octagonal responds, with moulded capitals. There is
a continuous double chamfered C15 tower arch and wide C14
moulded chancel arch on octagonal responds. C19 cambered roofs
to all parts. Chancel has triple C13 sedilla with semi-circular
headed arches on octagonal shafts with a chamfered pointed
piscina to east, both with stepped moulded band over which
continues round the chancel. Chancel also has plain oak early
C20 choir stalls and metal and wood C19 altar rails. Nave pews
are C20 copies of two C17 robust oak pews to rear of nave.
Octagonal pulpit is also C17 with carved oak panels re-set on
C20 stone base. South aisle has elaborately moulded C14 piscina
with cusped pointed head, and north aisle has small ogee headed
piscina to east wall and alms cupboard in north wall. Stone
font, with relief designs to each side of octagonal bowl, is
dated 1661 and has a much restored contemporary carved oak
cover. Tower has two painted charity plaques dated 1906 and C17
panelled wooden gates across the arch with oak acorn finials and
shaped 'H' hinges. Two fine monuments to the Sale family, one
wall memorial in the chancel, of painted alabaster with
classical aedicule surmounted by steeple finials and central
achievement to Dorothy and Richard Sale who died 1615, and 1625
respectively, and the other in the nave to Richard Sale. This
is an unusual monument with the life-sized figures of Richard
Sale and his wife, plus the smaller figures of children behind,
all kneeling in a row. Between the figures are panels with
rusticated ends, the two either side of the wife surmounted by
babies in their cots. Above there are four shields, that to
north with scull and crossbones, that to south with figure of
death, one central one decayed, the other inscribed 'Repaired by
Elizabeth, Daughter and Heiress of William Sale, great grandson
of the above Richard Sale from William his second son by Judith
Oliver his second wife, 1727'. South wall of south aisle has
small slate and marble wall memorial to Richard Storer who died
1840 and there is also a copper plaque to John Greatorex who
died 1936. West wall of nave has marble war memorial and north
aisle has lead plaque inscribed 'Robert Hill, Richard Brian CW.
George Sills, Donington P 1703'. Chancel has cll190 stained
glass to all windows, all nave windows have clear glass.


Listing NGR: SK3976527595

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.