History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sparth Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hyndburn, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7789 / 53°46'43"N

Longitude: -2.3865 / 2°23'11"W

OS Eastings: 374628

OS Northings: 431461

OS Grid: SD746314

Mapcode National: GBR CSSR.43

Mapcode Global: WH96X.98TW

Entry Name: Sparth Manor

Listing Date: 11 July 1966

Last Amended: 9 March 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1205946

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183870

Location: Hyndburn, Lancashire, BB5

County: Lancashire

District: Hyndburn

Town: Hyndburn

Electoral Ward/Division: Clayton-le-Moors

Built-Up Area: Clayton-le-Moors

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Find accommodation in
Great Harwood

Listing Text

CLAYTON-LE-MOORS SPARTH ROAD
SD 73 SW
2/67 Sparth Manor
(formerly listed as The
Farm House)
11.7.1966
- II*

Farmhouse formerly Old Sparth House, probably early to mid-C17, now
restaurant. Sandstone rubble with quoins, roof of stone slates with
gable copings, 2 chimneys on the ridge and a projecting chimney at
left gable. Three-bay baffle-entry plan (later addition at left end)
with short rear wing to 1st bay and gabled stair turret at junction of
2nd and 3rd bays. Two storeys. Two-storey gabled porch at junction
of 2nd and 3rd bays has Tudor-arched moulded surround with a hoodmould
and above this a stepped 3-light window with stepped hoodmould, a hollow-
moulded coping with a finial on the apex and kneelers. Front wall has 7
stone mullioned windows with chamfered reveals and hoodmoulds: to left
of porch those at ground floor (4 and 5 lights) have ovolo moulded
mullions, others have chamfered mullions (some missing); to right of
porch a 4-light ground floor window and a 5-light 1st floor window
have hollow-chamfered mullions, and there is one small blocked window at
1st floor level. Rear has 6 similar stone mullioned windows, principally
one at 1st floor of 3rd bay which has 5 lights and ovolo moulded mullions;
otherwise most of these windows are of 3 lights with chamfered mullions.
Interior: altered, principally by insertion of staircase in original stack
between 2nd and 3rd bays, but stone arch to original hearth in 2nd bay
survives, and there are 4 large lateral beams with small chamfer. Partition
between 1st and 2nd bays has been removed. History: said to have been built
in 1556 by the Rishton family (Richard Ainswerth The Old Homesteads of
Accrington and District, 1928, pp. 308-315).


Listing NGR: SD7462831461

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.