History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Royal Institution

A Grade II Listed Building in Riverside, Liverpool

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4011 / 53°24'4"N

Longitude: -2.9779 / 2°58'40"W

OS Eastings: 335080

OS Northings: 389813

OS Grid: SJ350898

Mapcode National: GBR 75Q.VS

Mapcode Global: WH877.7R7Z

Entry Name: Royal Institution

Listing Date: 28 June 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1206238

English Heritage Legacy ID: 213943

Location: Liverpool, L1

County: Liverpool

Electoral Ward/Division: Riverside

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Liverpool

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: St Luke in the City Team

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Liverpool

Listing Text

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/02/2017


SJ 3589 NW,
56/314

COLQUITT STREET, Ll,
Royal Institution and No. 26,

28.06.52

G.V.

II

House, and former Royal Institution. 1797-1799 with C19 alterations. Red brick with
stone dressings. Main 3-storey 5-bay centre block, central
three bays break forward. 2-storey 3-bay flanking pavilions,
central bay break forward. 1-bay connecting walls, stone
basement, flat band over ground floor and 1st-floor sill
band to three central bays. Top cornices and blocking courses
to the three blocks. Connecting walls have stone niches on sill
bands, stone panels over, and top balustrading. All windows
have cut-brick flat arches and are sashed with glazing bars.
Some blind windows to right pavilion. Central projecting
Doric porch, the architrave of which bears the inscription
"ROYAL INSTITUTION". Entrance to No. 26 has
stucco architrave and complete fanlight. Plain iron area
railings with two lamp standards. Rainwater head on left
return of main block bears the date 1800 and lion mask.
INTERIOR with some C18 and early C19 decorations,
mantelpieces etc. Small vaulted entrance hall with double
mahogany doors and original semi-circular fanlight. The
hall also has panels with the names of the original silver
ticket holders of the Institution. Built as residence and
office for Thomas Parr, it became the Royal Institution in 1817.


Listing NGR: SJ3508089813

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.