This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.053 / 52°3'10"N
Longitude: 1.1545 / 1°9'16"E
OS Eastings: 616376
OS Northings: 244092
OS Grid: TM163440
Mapcode National: GBR TMW.BP6
Mapcode Global: VHLBS.YNPK
Entry Name: Gateway to Wolsey's College of St Mary
Listing Date: 19 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206515
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275414
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4
District Council Ward: Alexandra
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Mary-le-Tower
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1260 COLLEGE STREET
Gateway to Wolsey's College
of St Mary
TM 1644 SW 3/33 19.12.51
This brick gateway adjoining St Peter's Church Yard is all that remains of
the college founded by Cardinal Wolsey for Secular Cannons in 1528 and suppressed
in 1530. It consists of a 4-centred moulded brick archway with square hood
moulding surmounted by the arms of Henry VIII carvel in stone, now very weathered.
The arms are contained in a moulded brick panel and are flanked by niches
with cusped brick arches. Above is a band of recessed panels with quatrefoil
moulding. The gateway is enclosed by 2 octagonal piers in 3 stages. This
gateway was not the main one, but probably gave access to a quadrangle.
Adjoining the gateway on the west is a small part of the boundary wall, which
extends north, forming the limit of St Peter's Churchyard. AM.
The Church of St Peter, the Gateway to Wolsey's College of St Mary,
Nos 1 to 5 (odd) and No 4 form a group.
Listing NGR: TM1637644092
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings