This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6315 / 52°37'53"N
Longitude: 1.2906 / 1°17'26"E
OS Eastings: 622778
OS Northings: 308833
OS Grid: TG227088
Mapcode National: GBR W8J.NV
Mapcode Global: WHMTM.S3RY
Entry Name: Anchor House
Listing Date: 5 June 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206526
English Heritage Legacy ID: 229008
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR3
Electoral Ward/Division: Mancroft
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Norwich
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Norwich St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 2208 NE
(formerly listed as Anchor Brewery
under Coslany Street)
Former Anchor Brewery, now offices and maisonettes. Early C19.
In 3 parts. Left range: Yellow brick, pantiled roof (renewed),
2 brick ridge chimneys (rebuilt). 3 storeys; 6 first-floor windows.
Early C19 style shop-front (rebuilt) to right has double half-glazed doors
flanked by shop windows with glazing bars and 4 fluted Doric half-columns
under triglyph frieze with dentilled cornice. 1980s flattened arch to left.
Windows have sashes with glazing bars under flat gauged brick arches.
Box cornice. Date-stone on left wall: B/TJ/1773. 2-storey range adjoining
to right has 3 round-headed ground floor windows with keyblocks and 3 sashes
in weather-boarded first floor (rebuilt). Later C19 Right range (1868)
Red brick with yellow brick details; hipped slate 2-span roof. 4 storeys;
7-window range with 3 bays defined by pilasters. First and second-floor
windows have round-headed casements with glazing bars and cambered brick
arches on the ground and third floors. Dentilled third-floor string course
and moulded eaves cornice. Rounded corner to Westwick Street frontage flanks
a 9-window range in similar style. Carriage arch to left with 3 windows above
joins the left range (q.v.). Former Vat House to rear: Painted brick,
slate roof. Now 2 storeys; 4 window range. Facade has central segmental headed
door flanked by pairs of round-headed windows with glazing bar casements.
Dentilled string course under continuous casement lights. Louvred roof
ventilator. Interior: Left part entirely re-modelled; right part has barrel-
vaulted ground floor with rows of cast iron columns; and the Vat House retains
its original industrial A-frame roof. Remodelled 1983-4 copying original features
Listing NGR: TG2277808833
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings