This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1642 / 55°9'51"N
Longitude: -1.7376 / 1°44'15"W
OS Eastings: 416816
OS Northings: 585574
OS Grid: NZ168855
Mapcode National: GBR J89Q.ML
Mapcode Global: WHC2Q.8GTD
Entry Name: Manor House and Adjacent Ruins
Listing Date: 20 October 1969
Last Amended: 29 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206539
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238942
Location: Mitford, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Mitford
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Mitford St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19/05/2016.
Manor House and adjacent ruins
(Formerly listed as: Old Manor House and adjacent ruins)
(Formerly listed as Mitford Manor House)
Manor house. Probably C16, remodelled C17 with addition of porch tower, dated
1637, and rear wings; kitchen wing remodelled 1961-2. Large rubble with cut
dressings; pantile roof on kitchen wing. Main block with central porch tower
on east and twin wings with small outshut between on west.
Porch tower 3 storeys. Plinth. 3 steps up to round arch with imposts and
keystone, under ornate entablature with worn armorial panel, strapwork and
finials. String courses stepped over 3-light transomed windows; embattled,
parapet. Returns show ground-floor openings with re-used C14 trefoiled heads,
and 2-light transomed windows above. Doorway within porch has flat-pointed
head, chamfered surround and 6-panel door.
Apart from fragments adjacent to porch tower, the front and end walls of the
main block have fallen. The rear wall shows remains of several doorways and
fireplaces, one with a flat-pointed arch within a square frame, under a relieving
arch. To rear left, the south wall of the south-west wing shows 2-light windows
with remains of diamond-latticed glazing. The north-west or kitchen wing has
been much altered and is not of especial interest; a fireplace and dogwheel were
removed to Mitford Hall (q.v.).
Listing NGR: NZ1681585577
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings