This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0574 / 52°3'26"N
Longitude: 1.155 / 1°9'17"E
OS Eastings: 616391
OS Northings: 244586
OS Grid: TM163445
Mapcode National: GBR TMP.YNH
Mapcode Global: VHLBS.YKZ5
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 19 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206619
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275424
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1
District Council Ward: Alexandra
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Mary-le-Tower
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 1644 NW
Church of St Lawrence
GV II* (star)
A Cl5 aisleless church with a tall west tower which makes a prominent landmark in the town. The nave has good perpendicular windows between buttresses, built after 1449 with the money of John Baldwyn who died in that year. The west tower was begun circa 1431 with the money of John Bottold and was practically rebuilt in 1882. Rising to a height of 97 ft it is richly ornamented with stepped openwork battlements, much flushwork, bands of quatrefoil and chequered stone and flintwork. There are large 3-light bell openings. The doorway has C15 carving. The interior has a number of C18 monuments and a brass dated 1506 of Robert Wymball, a notary, it is said to be the earliest known memorial to on of this profession.
The Church of St Lawrence forms a group with Nos 2 & 4 and Nos 8 to 12 (even).
Listing NGR: TM1639144586
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings