History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monument to Grace Darling Circa 30 Yards West of Church of St Aidan

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bamburgh, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6079 / 55°36'28"N

Longitude: -1.7192 / 1°43'9"W

OS Eastings: 417789

OS Northings: 634961

OS Grid: NU177349

Mapcode National: GBR J3FL.LJ

Mapcode Global: WHC0L.K9KQ

Entry Name: Monument to Grace Darling Circa 30 Yards West of Church of St Aidan

Listing Date: 22 December 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1206625

English Heritage Legacy ID: 237853

Location: Bamburgh, Northumberland, NE69

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Bamburgh

Built-Up Area: Bamburgh

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Bamburgh St Aidan

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Bamburgh

Listing Text

1404/17/34
24-OCT-02


BAMBURGH
CHURCH STREET
(North side)
MONUMENT TO GRACE DARLING CIRCA 30 YAR
DS WEST OF CHURCH OF ST AIDAN


GV
II*


Churchyard memorial. 1842. Designed by Anthony Salvin. The tomb was repaired in 1885 by Frederick Wilson, when a new effigy was carved by C R Smith in Portland stone. (The original which is now in the church). 1894 the canopy rebuilt to the designs of W S Hicks 1894 after the original was damaged in a gale.
Ashlar and bronze, iron railings. Gothic Revival style.
Rectangular base bearing life-size effigy. Canopy on 8 bronze spiral colonettes
with open leafy capitals. Stone trefoiled arches with leafy spandrels; bronze
cresting with quatrefoils.
Surrounded by railings with spear-head finials.
Grace Darling became a national heroine following the wreck of the steamship
Forfarshire on the Farne Islands in September 1838 when she and her father,
the keeper of the Longstone Lighthouse (q.v.) rowed out and rescued 9 survivors.

Listing NGR: NU17789534961

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.