This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6314 / 52°37'53"N
Longitude: 1.2966 / 1°17'47"E
OS Eastings: 623188
OS Northings: 308843
OS Grid: TG231088
Mapcode National: GBR W9H.3G
Mapcode Global: WHMTM.W4M0
Entry Name: 12-16, Elm Hill
Listing Date: 26 February 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206643
English Heritage Legacy ID: 229059
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR3
Electoral Ward/Division: Thorpe Hamlet
Built-Up Area: Norwich
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Norwich St George, Tombland
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 2308 NW ELM HILL
26.2.54 Nos. 12 to 16 (even)
3 houses, now 2 shops and house. Timber-frame Nos. 12 & 14 brick on
ground floor; No.16: rendered on ground floor. First floor and dormers
rendered throughout. Plain tiled roof. Brick coping to rendered left
gable; brick gable-end chimney to right. 2 storeys and attic; first-floor
jetty; 6 first-floor windows (one blocked). Central passage has moulded
surround and door with ribs, iron studs and four-centred head, and includes
a smaller door of similar design. Flush panelled and part-glazed doors to
Nos. 12 and 14 have simple identical moulded doorcases with corner roundels.
No.16 has a 6-panelled door and simple fluted doorcase.Ground floor windows
have glazing bars with external shutters to Nos. 12 & 14. The window of
No.12 is slightly bowed, similar to another in the left side elevation.
No.16 has one small glazing-bar sash window with wooden shutter, and
2 large-paned sash windows flanking the door. 5 first-floor mullioned and
transomed casements, and one similar in side elevation. Box cornice beneath
3 gabled dormers with casements, plain bargeboards and turned pendants.
Rear of Nos. 14 and 16 have flint rubble walls and diaper-pattern brickwork.
Used as a monastery for a short time after 1864, under Rev. J,L.Lyne,
self-styled Father Ignatius.F
Listing NGR: TG2318808843
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings