This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0877 / 55°5'15"N
Longitude: -1.6694 / 1°40'9"W
OS Eastings: 421197
OS Northings: 577082
OS Grid: NZ211770
Mapcode National: GBR J9SL.CZ
Mapcode Global: WHC34.BD80
Entry Name: Garden Walls, Attached Outbuildings, Greenhouse and Pillars, West of Blagdon Hall
Listing Date: 29 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206715
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238980
Location: Stannington, Northumberland, NE13
Civil Parish: Stannington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Stannington St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
13/70 Garden walls,
pillars, west of
Garden walls, outbuildings, greenhouse and supporting pillars for roses. Late
C18 or early C19 with alterations under Sir Edwin Lutyens' garden scheme, 1926-
1938. Walls and outbuildings brick in English Garden Wall Bond 1 and 4, with
stone dressings and Lakeland slate roofs; greenhouse glass, wood and cast iron
on ashlar base; pillars brick. Rectangular walled garden with short diagonal
wing walls at southern angles, ending in square piers; south-eastern links to
pond surround (q.v.). Wall with flat stone coping; both coping and coursing
sloped down steeply on either side of lower central section on south. Coping
ramped up on either side of gateway on east, with elaborate wrought-iron gate
between piers with foliate ball finials. Boarded door on north in alternating-
block surround. Greenhouse against inner face of wall to west of door has
patterned spandrel brackets and ornate wrought-iron ridge finials. Pent
outbuildings, against outer face of wall east of door, have boarded doors,
16-pane sash windows and 2 segmental arches.
Cruciform-plan paths within garden lined (except in north-east quarter) by
pillars with dog-tooth friezes and stepped caps; these were formerly linked by
wood rails which supported climbing roses.
Altered greenhouses and house at north-west corner are not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NZ2119777082
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings