This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0585 / 52°3'30"N
Longitude: 1.1565 / 1°9'23"E
OS Eastings: 616487
OS Northings: 244711
OS Grid: TM164447
Mapcode National: GBR TMP.Z21
Mapcode Global: VHLBT.0J7B
Entry Name: 14 and 14a, Northgate Street
Listing Date: 19 December 1951
Last Amended: 4 August 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207484
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275534
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1
Electoral Ward/Division: Alexandra
Built-Up Area: Ipswich
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1260 NORTHGATE STREET
Nos 14 and 14A
(formerly listed as
TM 1644 NW 1/139 19.12.51.
A C17 timber-framed and plastered house with a jettied upper storey on a
moulded bressumer. The front is plastered in panels and the centre panel
has a C20 pargetted wreath inscribed 14 North Gate. 2 storeys and attics.
4 window range, C18 double-hung sashes with glazing bars, in flush cased
frames. 2 6-panel doors have wood moulded and shouldered architraves. Roof
tiled, with 4 flat headed dormers with double-hung sashes with glazing bars and
a good modilliioned eaves cornice. The building has been restored.
All the listed buildings in Northgate Street except Garden Wall to No 9
form a group with No 43 (Great White Horse Hotel) Tavern Street, No 2
Great Colman Street and part of Nos 2 to 12 (even), St Margaret's Plain.
Also No 2 (including No 1 Carr Street) and Nos 4 to 16 (even) form a
group with Nos 2, 2A and Nos 4 to 10 (even) Great Colman Street.
Listing NGR: TM1648744711
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings