This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0585 / 52°3'30"N
Longitude: 1.1517 / 1°9'6"E
OS Eastings: 616160
OS Northings: 244699
OS Grid: TM161446
Mapcode National: GBR TMP.XN3
Mapcode Global: VHLBS.XJ6B
Entry Name: Crown and Anchor Hotel
Listing Date: 4 August 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207622
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275550
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1
District Council Ward: Alexandra
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Mary-le-Tower
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1260 PROVIDENCE STREET
(Crown and Anchor Hotel)
TM 1644 NW 1/155
Including Nos 12 and 14 Westgate Street. An early C19 stucco fronted building,
much altered and modernised internally. 3 storeys and cellars. It has a
9 window range on Providence street and a 5 window range on Westgate Street,
double-hung sashes with glazing bars, in plain reveals. 3 1st storey windows
at the east end on Westgate Street have semi-circular heads and the 2nd storey
windows have segmental arched heads. There is a good Doric collonaded entrance
on Providence Street with 6 fluted columns in antis, supporting a continuous
entablature. At the south end the ground storey has, between the columns,
a 6-panel door, one original double-hung sash window with glazing bars and
a C2O doorway with flanking windows in C18 style, with glazing bars. At
the north end the ground storey has C20 shops. Roof slate.
The Crown and Anchor Hotel has a late C19 frontage on Westgate Street which is
described under WESTGATE STREET.
Listing NGR: TM1616644689
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings