History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

County Hall Main Entrance Block

A Grade II Listed Building in Ipswich, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0567 / 52°3'24"N

Longitude: 1.1616 / 1°9'41"E

OS Eastings: 616849

OS Northings: 244528

OS Grid: TM168445

Mapcode National: GBR VP7.0HH

Mapcode Global: VHLBT.2KZQ

Entry Name: County Hall Main Entrance Block

Listing Date: 4 August 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207685

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275558

Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4

County: Suffolk

District: Ipswich

Town: Ipswich

District Council Ward: Alexandra

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Helen with St James

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Ipswich

Listing Text

1.
1260 ST HELEN'S STREET
(South Side)

County Hall
Main entrance block
TM 1644 NE 2/319

II

2.
An early C19 grey gault brick building formerly the courthouse, now the
Shire Hall. The C18 gaol stood at the rear (now demolished). It was designed
by W McIntosh Brooks in 1836, in the Tudor style. Its powerful design well
characterises its original purpose. The frontage is about 150 ft long,
with a central entrance, block with twin castellated tower, castellated
side wings and 2 slightly projecting end pavilions. The central entrance block has
sham machicolations and a stone mullioned and transomed window, casements
with glazing bars, in splayed stone reveals. The windows in the towers have
stone hood moulds. A central entrance door has heavy double doors, each
of 8 panels with a heavy portcullis grille above, set in a 4 centred moulded
brick arch. The side wings are unfenestrated apart from 4 heavily barred
windows low down in the east wing. The end pavilions have 4 centred arched
windows with splayed stone reveals and hood moulds on the ground storey and
stone mullioned and transomed windows with splayed stone reveals on the 1st
storey. A moulded stone string course runs across the wings and end pavilions,
with a central carved stone coat of arms in each wing. The front rises above
a deep battered stone plinth. A shield above the entrance doors bears the
date 1837.


Listing NGR: TM1684944528

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.