This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8854 / 50°53'7"N
Longitude: -2.7981 / 2°47'52"W
OS Eastings: 343957
OS Northings: 109850
OS Grid: ST439098
Mapcode National: GBR MG.SDYB
Mapcode Global: FRA 560R.RQL
Entry Name: Parish Church Hall (Old Grammar School)
Listing Date: 12 June 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1208022
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390296
Location: Crewkerne, South Somerset, Somerset, TA18
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Crewkerne
Built-Up Area: Crewkerne
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Crewkerne
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST4309 ABBEY STREET
876-1/6/18 (South side)
12/06/50 Parish Church Hall (Old Grammar
Grammar School, now parish hall. 1636, much restored and
MATERIALS: coursed limestone rubble with Ham Hill stone
plinth, porch, dressings, stepped stone coping and stacks and
lower 3 courses to the left half of the slate roof.
PLAN: rectangular plan with rear stair turret and right-hand
EXTERIOR: the tall left half is single-storey; symmetrical
4-window range. The right half, of the same height, is 2
storeys including a half dormer; 2-window range. All the main
windows to the front have labelmoulds; the gutters are
supported by wrought-iron brackets. The left half, slightly
longer than that to the right, has 4 tall 4-light stone
mullioned and transomed leaded windows, probably C19, which
break through the continuous string course which follows round
the left return. Steps lead up both sides of the projecting
gabled porch which has Tudor-arched openings to sides and
front; it has a stone roof, moulded coping and obelisk finials
to the kneelers and apex. Worn C19 carving in the gable end
bears the date 1499.
The right end has 4-light stone mullioned windows to the
centre of both floors, that in the half dormer is below a
slated gable with plain stone coping and a smaller finial than
those to the right.
To the left of this half, steps lead up to a Tudor-arched
planked door directly under a 2-light window without a
hoodmould; a similar one-light window is above, under the
The rear of the left half has a 2-storey gable with similar
details to the porch and C17 stone-mullioned windows; the rear
of the right half is C20.
INTERIOR: late C19 staircase and tongued and grooved
panelling, C20 to the rest except for early C18 square raised
and fielded dado panelling to the left end. This is higher
than the floor, which has been lowered, and has much graffitti
with dates in the early and mid C19.
HISTORY: The Grammar School was founded in 1499 by John
DeCombe, precentor of The Cathedral Church of Exeter. In 1577
trustees included "6 of the most discreetest men in town" and
from the early C17 they gave the town financial support, lent
money during the plague, gave to the poor, advanced cash to
buy fire buckets and in 1626 contributed substantially when
the bridewell was converted to a workhouse and a cage and a
(Victoria County History: Somerset: Oxford: 1978-: P.8).
Listing NGR: ST4395309849
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings