This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1235 / 52°7'24"N
Longitude: 1.055 / 1°3'18"E
OS Eastings: 609229
OS Northings: 251646
OS Grid: TM092516
Mapcode National: GBR TLS.X46
Mapcode Global: VHLBC.7WLH
Entry Name: Stable Range, 30 Metres South East of Baylham Hall
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1208099
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279227
Location: Baylham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Baylham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Baylham St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 05 SE
2/34 Stable range, 30 metres
9.12.55 south-east of Baylham Hall
A fine example of a mid C16 stable range serving a substantial manor house.
10 bays and about 35 metres long. The ground storey is of red brick, the
lodgings at the upper storey are timber-framed, partly with exposed brick
nogging but mainly clad with weatherboarding. Pantiled roof, hipped at right.
7 original openings at ground storey (some windows, some doorways), have 4-
centred arched heads (some probably began as windows and have been converted
to doorways). Several have boarded C19 doors. The upper storey has arch-
braced close-studding of high quality. Several original mullioned windows;
one at the rear is complete with square mullions and a shutter-slide; at least
one window facing the Hall has moulded reveals and evidence for moulded
mullions with individual arched heads to each light. Complete crown-post roof;
the posts are tall and square with thin 2-way braces. In C17, long rafter
braces, purlins and struts were introduced. Heavy unmoulded 1st floor
members; at the right-hand cell (used for stabling riding horses) the upper
floor structure has been removed. A C20 asbestos-clad grain store is attached
to the rear.
Listing NGR: TM0922951646
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings