History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stone Farm House

A Grade II Listed Building in Baylham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1166 / 52°6'59"N

Longitude: 1.0592 / 1°3'33"E

OS Eastings: 609548

OS Northings: 250894

OS Grid: TM095508

Mapcode National: GBR TLZ.BM1

Mapcode Global: VHLBK.92T6

Entry Name: Stone Farm House

Listing Date: 24 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1208142

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279231

Location: Baylham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Baylham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Baylham St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

BAYLHAM
TM 05 SE
2/38 Stone Farm House
-
- II
House, formerly farmhouse. C15 or early C16 core with major alterations,
principally of c.1600 but of several other periods also. 2 storeys, partly
with attics. Timber-framed and rough-cast; much of the ground storey walling
is under-built in C19 red brickwork. Plaintiled roofs with a gabled
plaintiled casement dormer. Axial C17 chimney of red brick with a saw-tooth
pattern shaft, cappea in C19. C20 small-pane casements. A C19 single-storey
gabled entrance porch at the lobby-entrance position with glazed panelled
door. A residual open hall forms the nucleus of the house; its lightly-
blackened coupled-rafter roof is almost complete. A single post, formerly
shafted, marks the position of the missing open truss. In c.1600 major
alterations were made: a large chimney was inserted near the cross-passage,
and a fine 1st floor structure added to the hall. It has ovolo mouldings to
the bridging joist and to the common joists, which have stepped stops enriched
in an unusual manner. The earlier service end was rebuilt in the form of a
cross-wing with clasped-purlin roof. An arch-braced open truss of C16 type in
the block beyond the cross-wing is probably the vestige of a much altered C16
service range. A single-storey dairy wing was added to rear in C17. In the
parlour is a corner cupboard of c.1800 with rustic enrichment.


Listing NGR: TM0954850894

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.