History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moravian Chapel and Minister's House

A Grade II Listed Building in Wyke, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7295 / 53°43'46"N

Longitude: -1.7738 / 1°46'25"W

OS Eastings: 415022

OS Northings: 425924

OS Grid: SE150259

Mapcode National: GBR JT19.ST

Mapcode Global: WHC9N.QJJ7

Entry Name: Moravian Chapel and Minister's House

Listing Date: 9 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1208390

English Heritage Legacy ID: 336803

Location: Bradford, BD12

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: Wyke

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Wyke

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Brighouse

Listing Text

1.
5111 LOWER WYKE LANE
(west side)
Wyke BD12

Moravian Chapel and Minister's
House, Chapel Fold
SE 1525 68/793

II GV


2.
The Chapel was completed in 1755. It is a simple 2 storey rectangular structure
with rendered sandstone front. Two tall round headed windows to centre and similar
but shorter windows at first floor level above flanking round header doorways. All
have small impost blocks and keystones to arches. Stone slate roof with corbel
brackets to eaves, saddlestones and prominent shaped kneelers. Louvred stone bellcot
on ridge with pyramid roof and ball finial. The minister's house was added, in
part under the same roof, circa 1782-1800. The sandstone "brickwork" remains
exposed with flush quoins. Three ashlar framed sash windows and squared jamb
doorway with cornice; one bay with C19 extension to west. The rear elevation
of the Chapel has similar fenestration to the front with addition of central,
2 storey, sandstone "brick" projecting bay built to contain organ loft with round
headed window facing north. The minister's house, on this side, has 2 light square
mullion windows. The interior of the Chapel retains panelled galleries on both
sides supported on wooden Doric columns. The pews are late C19. Early to mid C19
organ case with iron finials recessed in segmental niche with Doric entablature
impost mouldings and anthemion patterned keystone. Late C18 pulpit panelled and
swept in to base. John Wesley preached here in 1759.


Listing NGR: SE1502225924

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.