This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7938 / 53°47'37"N
Longitude: -1.752 / 1°45'7"W
OS Eastings: 416434
OS Northings: 433087
OS Grid: SE164330
Mapcode National: GBR JKK.BK
Mapcode Global: WHC99.1WZY
Entry Name: Midland Bank
Listing Date: 9 August 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1208878
English Heritage Legacy ID: 336864
Location: Bradford, BD1
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Bradford
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Peter Bradford
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
5111 MARKET STREET BD1
SE 1633 SW 36/833 (Midland Bank)
Corner site with Bank Street. Circa 1900 neo Baroque but quite restrained detail.
Four storey and mansard attic. Ashlar with horizontal grooving to ground floor,
struck into window arches; grooved quoin pilasters to upper floors. Cornice over
ground floor from which rises engaged Roman Ionic colonnade double columns to corners
on both fronts, carried up to entablature with modillion bracket cornice over second
floor. The colonnades articulate 4 windows to Market Street and 6 to Bank Street.
The third floor attic storey is articulated by panelled pilasters, dentil secondary
cornice broken forward over them and over window heads. Pedimented dormers in mansard
roof. The corner has an inset bow, the second floor consisting of a set back drum,
buttressed by 2 large scrolls, with dentil cornice below finialed lead dome. Round
headed ground floor windows; architrave surrounds to first and second floor windows,
gutter to sills; corner first floor window similar with addition of profile scrolls
and the second floor window above has a cartouche crest set in frieze. Fluted
architrave surround to corner entrance - pedimented doorway at end of Bank Street
front. Good banking hall, the ceiling divided into large rectangular compartments:
Greek key bands, guilloche soffits to beans and dentil strings. The ceiling is
supported centrally by a range of giant Roman Doric columns. Important corner site.
Listing NGR: SE1643433087
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings