History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ashby Parva, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.493 / 52°29'34"N

Longitude: -1.2272 / 1°13'37"W

OS Eastings: 452568

OS Northings: 288626

OS Grid: SP525886

Mapcode National: GBR 8P2.NL3

Mapcode Global: VHCT5.PL3Q

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 30 September 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1209141

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392493

Location: Ashby Parva, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE17

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Ashby Parva

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Ashby Parva St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Broughton Astley

Listing Text

ASHBY PARVA
MAIN STREET
SP58NW
1323-0 3/4 (South side)
11/01/55 Church of St Peter
II*

Parish church. Possible C12 origins, rebuilt later C14;
restored with chancel and porch rebuilt by J P St Aubyn in
1866. Rubble stone with some ashlar; stone quoins, dressings
and gable coping. Plain tiled roofs, swept down over vestry to
south of chancel. Tower, nave with north porch, chancel with
south vestry. Two stage unbuttressed tower, the upper stage
slightly inset over dripmould. Two-light belfry openings with
C15 windows, restored C19, in upper stage and west window to
lower stage of two lights with quatrefoil, probably C14,
restored in C19. Chancel with two windows to south and one to
north, all C14, restored 1866. Ashlar-work to left of porch on
north side of nave, projecting and marking position of rood
stair. Elliptical arch to south doorway. Gabled north porch.
Nave with two windows to south. Interior: no aisles, though
nave appears to have been built out in C14, leaving chancel
off-centre. Double-chamfered chancel arch. Two doorways to the
left of chancel arch both with recessed Tudor-arched
surrounds, formerly the doorways to the rood-loft. One window
reveal in nave with short, squat columnar respond, possible
C12. Fittings: C19 benches, screen and pulpit. Font: C12 with
hemispherical bowl on C19 base. West window by Lavers and
Barraud, 1866. Sculptural relief in white marble, C18, perhaps
North Italian.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Williamson E, Brandwood
G: Leicestershire and Rutland: London: 1984-: 87).


Listing NGR: SP5256888626

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.