History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade I Listed Building in Claybrooke Parva, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.4869 / 52°29'12"N

Longitude: -1.2708 / 1°16'14"W

OS Eastings: 449614

OS Northings: 287913

OS Grid: SP496879

Mapcode National: GBR 7MW.3JT

Mapcode Global: VHCT4.XRKF

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 11 January 1955

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1209153

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392522

Location: Claybrooke Parva, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE17

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Claybrooke Parva

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Claybrooke St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

1323-0 2/33 (South side)
11/01/55 Church of St Peter

Parish church. Possible C12 remains, rebuilt circa 1300 with
chancel of circa 1340 in curvilinear Decorated style. Nave
possibly rebuilt towards end of C14 (see nave arcades). Tower
rebuilt in early C17 with stones dated 1614 in second stage
and 1615 in top stage. Some work, including the blocking-up of
the east window, before 1810. Restored by G E Street, 1876-78.
Random rubble stone with ashlar dressings, quoins, buttresses
and roof and gable-parapets. Plain tiled roofs. West tower,
nave with north and south aisles and north and south porches,
chancel. Three-stage tower with diagonal buttresses away from
church and side angle buttresses against church. Stages, of
which second is very shallow, separated by dripmoulds and
topmost stage surmounted by crenellated parapet with corner
obelisk finials. Single quatrefoil openings below parapet with
early C17, Perpendicular-style windows in same stage below, of
four lights, two on two, each with semi-circular cusped head
and upper quatrefoil. West window, probably of C14, restored,
of two lights with single upper light in chamfered surround
with hollow-chamfered hoodmould carried across face of tower.
Small window on second stage to south, partially hidden by
clock face on north side. Nave with lower aisles and four-bay
clerestorey with identical windows, though longer, to right on
two-bay north aisle and at west end of that aisle. Window with
Y tracery to left of gabled porch on north aisle. South aisle
with two-light window to right, probably a C17 copy of C14
work, and a wide C15 or even C16 window to left. Central
gabled porch with hollow-chamfered outer surround. Three-bay
chancel with identical curvilinear decorated tracery of
mouchettes and trefoils over three lights to all windows,
which are surmounted by slightly ogee hoodmoulds and separated
by buttresses with crocketted and gabled canopies to niches
below and similar canopies, without crockets, to the
weatherings above. Below the lefthand south window is a very
small two-light window. Below the central north window are two
doorways, the lefthand one round-arched and probably the
remains of a C12 former priest's doorway to the former
sacristy, now gone, but the gabled roofline of which remains
against the south aisle, and the righthand one with a triple
hollow-chamfered ogee surround and the remains of side
crocketted finials. East window, flanked by buttresses similar
to those of the sides of the chancel, with five lights topped
by curvilinear tracery, by Street, 1876-78. Interior:
double-chamfered tower arch. Four-bay nave arcades with late
C14 red sandstone piers with four shafts and four hollows,
carrying arches with double wave-mouldings. Clerestorey above.
Pre-C14 roof line visible at west end against tower. C14 nave
roof with brattished tie-beams, arcaded in the spandrels of
the braces and to either side of the king-posts. Moulded
ridge-piece and purlins; various moulded bosses. Restored
1876-78, but with retention of C14 work. Blocked pointed
rood-loft doorway to left of chancel arch. C14 tower arch with
double chamfers on piers similar to those of the nave arcades.
Wave-moulded rere-arches to chancel windows. Hoodmoulds with
head stops. Fittings: font, probably by Street, 1876-78. Stone
with octagonal bowl with leaf and tracery decorated panels on
octagonal base with piers in corners. Arcaded and traceried
stone pulpit, also probably by Street, 1876-78. Other
furnishings later C19 in date. Remains of the base of
roodscreen, probably C15. Some C14 stained glass fragments in
chancel windows.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Williamson E, Brandwood
G: Leicestershire and Rutland: London: 1984-: 131-2).

Listing NGR: SP4961487913

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.