This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5058 / 51°30'20"N
Longitude: -0.1327 / 0°7'57"W
OS Eastings: 529695
OS Northings: 180195
OS Grid: TQ296801
Mapcode National: GBR GG.CC
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.ND7Z
Entry Name: Numbers 1-9 Including Railings to North and East
Listing Date: 9 January 1970
Last Amended: 1 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1209780
English Heritage Legacy ID: 208995
Location: Westminster, London, SW1Y
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Martin-in-the-Fields
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2980 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER CARLTON HOUSE TERRACE, SW1
Nos 1 to 9 (consec)
including railings to
9.1.70 (excluding railings) north and east
One of a pair of symmetrical palatial terraces of grand town houses flanking the
stepped up approach to Waterloo Place. 1827-29 by John Nash with (Sir) James
Pennethorne. Stucco, slate roofs. Broad Graeco-Roman panache; designed as the
monumental termination to Nash's Via Triumphalis as a replacement for Carlton
House. 4 storeys and basement to north. 3 storeys with 3-storey and attic end
pavilions to south, the whole raised on terrace overlooking the Park. 31 windows
wide. The north entrance front, relatively plain with projecting end pavilions,
has individual Ionic or Doric columned portico-porches. Recessed glazing bar
sashes. Cornice and blocking course returned to flanks facing steps. Cast iron
spear head area railings. Nash's personal contribution is the Park front where the fenestration is in the rhythm 5:8:5:8:5 with the taller end pavilions slightly projecting. Recessed architraved glazing bar sashes with cornices, articulated by giant Corinthian order through ground and 1st floors, engaged to end pavilions, detached to long central range which has pediment with acanthus scrollwork in tympanum over 5 centre bays of attic. The double height attics of the end pavilions are articulated by panelled pilaster-piers in antis. Curious feature of deeply cantilevered balustraded balconies to the 1st floor windows within the giant order. The deep balustraded terrace carried on engaged cast iron Doric columns with segmental arched windows in between. The east flank has continuous balustraded 1st floor balcony. Nos 1, 2 and 3, built by Decimus Burton, retain elements of their Grecian interiors. The interior of No 6 sumptuously remodelled internally in a Quattrocento style by Sir Ernest George 1889-90. Nos 7 to 9, formerly the German Embassy, have interiors redecorated in 1937 under the direction of Albert Speer, although No 7 retains its Rococo staircase and ground floor wall paintings by G. F. Watts of 1856-58. W. E. Gladstone lived variously at No 4 and Nos 11 and 13 q.v.
Survey of London; Vol XX.
John Nash; John Summerson.
London, Volume I; N. Pevsher.
Listing NGR: TQ2971780174
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings