This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5065 / 51°30'23"N
Longitude: -0.1306 / 0°7'50"W
OS Eastings: 529839
OS Northings: 180280
OS Grid: TQ298802
Mapcode National: GBR GG.V3
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.PDBF
Entry Name: Numbers 10 to 18 (Including the Institute of Contemporary Arts) and Railings to North and West
Listing Date: 9 January 1970
Last Amended: 1 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1209794
English Heritage Legacy ID: 208997
Location: Westminster, London, SW1Y
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Martin-in-the-Fields
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2980 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER CARLTON HOUSE TERRACE,
Nos. 10 to 18 consec.
9.1.70 (excluding railings) (Including the
Contemporary Arts) and
railings to north and west
One of a pair of symmetrical palatial terraces of grand town houses
flanking the stepped approach to Waterloo Place. 1827-29 by John Nash with
(Sir) James Pennethorne, No. 18 built 1863 by William Burn to complete the
original design. Stucco, slate roofs. Broad Graeco-Roman panache designed
as the monumental termination to Nash's Via Triumphalis as a replacement
for Carlton House. 4 storeys and basement to north. 3 storeys with
3 storey and attic end pavilions to south, the whole raised on terrace
overlooking the Park. 31 windows wide. The north entrance front,
relatively plain, with projecting end pavilions, has 3 grouped portico
porches with coupled Ionic columns to Nos. 12 to 17; individual Ionic
columned portico-porches to end pavilions. Recessed glazing bar sashes.
Cornice and blocking course returned to flank facing steps. Cast iron
spear head area railings. Nash's personal contribution is the Park front
where the fenestration is in the rhythm 5:8:5:8:5 with taller end pavilions
slightly projecting. Recessed architraved glazing bar sashes with
cornices, articulated by giant Corinthian order through ground and 1st
floors, engaged to end pavilions, detached to long central range which is
pedimented with scrollwork in tympanum over 5 centre bays of attic. The
double height attics of end pavilions are articulated by panelled pilaster
piers in antis. Curious feature of deeply cantilevered balustraded
balconies to 1st floor windows within the giant order. The deep
balustraded terrace is carried on engaged cast iron Greek Doric columns
with segmental arched windows in between. The west flank has continuous
balustraded 1st floor balcony. Interiors largely altered. No. 11 was the
home of W.E. Gladstone 1857-75 (L.C.C. plaque) who also lived at No. 13 and
at No. 4 q.v.
Survey of London; Vol. XX.
John Nash; John Summerson.
London, volume one; N. Pevsner.
Listing NGR: TQ2985780259
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings