History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

28-45, Albion Street W2

A Grade II Listed Building in Hyde Park, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5136 / 51°30'48"N

Longitude: -0.1666 / 0°9'59"W

OS Eastings: 527318

OS Northings: 180997

OS Grid: TQ273809

Mapcode National: GBR 6C.SL

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.2781

Entry Name: 28-45, Albion Street W2

Listing Date: 9 January 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1209926

English Heritage Legacy ID: 208525

Location: Westminster, London, W2

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: Hyde Park

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St John Evan Hyde Park Crescent

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 2781 SW and CITY OF WESTMINSTER ALBION STREET W2
2780 NW
53/51 ;66/13 Nos 28 to 45 (consec)
9.1.70
GV II

Range of terraced houses. c.1830-35, some alterations. Probably by
George Gutch. Brown brick with channelled stuccoed ground floors, slate
roofs. 4 storeys and basements. Each front 2 windows wide, but No 35 with
2 extra windows over mews archway. Entrances principally to right hand of
fronts. Square headed or segmental arched doorways principally to right;
panelled doors and patterned fanlights. Recessed sash windows, a few with
glazing bars, those on upper floors under flat gauged arches. Plat band
finishing off stucco ground floors, 3rd floor sill band and stucco cornices
with blocking courses. Nos 36 to 45 with parapets. Cast iron geometric
patterned 1st floor balconies. Cast iron spear head railings. Part of
the early phase of the Tyburnia development planned by S. P. Cockerell
in 1827 for the Bishop of London's estate (Church Commissioners), but laid
out to a modified plan by Cockerell's successor George Gutch.

"The History of Tyburnia"; G. Toplis,
Country Life, 15, 22 November 1973


Listing NGR: TQ2731880997

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.