This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5135 / 51°30'48"N
Longitude: -0.1507 / 0°9'2"W
OS Eastings: 528425
OS Northings: 181013
OS Grid: TQ284810
Mapcode National: GBR BC.BM
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.B7Q3
Entry Name: Ukranian Catholic Cathedral (King's Weigh House Church)
Listing Date: 14 January 1970
Last Amended: 1 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1210923
English Heritage Legacy ID: 209547
Location: Westminster, London, W1K
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: West End
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George, Hanover Square
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2881 SW
CITY OF WESTMINSTER
DUKE STREET, W1
Ukranian Catholic Cathedral
(Formerly listed as The King's Weigh House Chapel)
Church. 1888-91 by Alfred Waterhouse, as a Congregational Church. Redbrick and plentiful buff terracotta dressings (Burmantofts); tiled roofs. Carolingian Romanesque style. Corner-site running between Binney and Duke Streets. Above the rectangular ground floor level rises the elliptical body of the auditorium; tripartite, west entrance front to Duke Street, its symmetry broken by south west corner tower with steeple and, to left, by gable and ventilation turret. Triple arcaded porch in antis approached by flight of steps; centre group of tall narrow round arched lancets above, inscribed under relieving arch, and elaborated gable with arcaded machicol ations. The tower has narrow arcaded screens to middle stage and octagonal bell stage within square, pinnacled, corner buttresses, spire with gablets. Coupled gabled doorways at head of steps to Binney Street/Weighhouse Street corner, surmounted by gabled dormer in ground storey parapet. The auditorium ellipse has a steep hipped roof with iron ridge cresting. The interior has rectangular ground floor but the elliptical shape is picked up at first floor level by the horseshoe gallery upper walls and ceiling; glazed brick walls and four structural columns faced in faience; simple woodwork to gallery; sympathetic alterations to chancel by J.J. Burnet, 1903 including east window (with glass by Anning Bell) and east screen wall and flanking organ cases; pews introduced and pulpit removed for Ukranian Cathedral with a confessional by J.F.Bentley from Westminster Cathedral; etc. Survey of London; Vol. XL.
Listing NGR: TQ2842581013
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings