This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4925 / 51°29'33"N
Longitude: 0.0699 / 0°4'11"E
OS Eastings: 543794
OS Northings: 179093
OS Grid: TQ437790
Mapcode National: GBR NJ.Q9B
Mapcode Global: VHHNK.5R96
Entry Name: Royal Arsenal Dial Square Entrance Range
Listing Date: 8 June 1973
Last Amended: 9 July 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1211005
English Heritage Legacy ID: 200486
Location: Greenwich, London, SE18
Electoral Ward/Division: Woolwich Riverside
Built-Up Area: Greenwich
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Woolwich St Mary Magdalene with St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 4479 PLUMSTEAD ROAD SE18
786- /9/47 Royal Arsenal
Dial Square entrance
Archway and front range to foundry , gun boring works and smithery, later ordnance works. 1717- 20, attributed both to Sir J Vanbrugh and to Nicholas Hawksmoor; 1896 cartridge factory. Red brick with rubbed brick headers hipped slate roof Single-depth plan front range to former quadrangle. Single storey with attics to end blocks; 9-bay range. Symmetrical with central gateway and gabled ends set forward, articulated by shallow buttresses which rise through the eaves with plain caps. Gateway has large square battered piers with moulded caps and pyramids of cannon balls on top, a gabled round-arched gauged brick gateway with blocked voussoirs and a sundial dated 1764. At the back of the archway a 3-centre arched cast-iron beam, dated 1780 at one end and inscribed with the names of former Inspectors of Artillery and of the Royal Brass Foundry between 1797 and 1855. Linking 3-bay sections have 2 segmental-arched sashes with thin glazing bars, the inner bays have an inner doorway and overlight, the outer ones with a central round-arched window and flanking flat-headed 6/6-pane sashes. End gabled bays have 2 sashes and a round-arched frieze beneath the gable and a smaller segmental-arched attic window. Rubbed brick heads to 6/6-pane C19 sashes. Rear altered, the 3 E bays open with late C19 cast-iron columns. INTERIOR: altered with the removal of most original features. HISTOR Y: With the Royal Brass Foundry and the Board Room (qqv), part of the expansion of the Arsenal when the Board of Ordnance moved gun founding to Woolwich, and known as the Great Pile. Originally fronted a double courtyard range of buildings, the inner Grand Square was for turning, washing, engraving and smitheries, the rear Basin Square having armourers' shops and accommodation. It contained horse-powered cannon-boring equipment, to which cannon cast at the nearby Royal Foundry (qv) were sent. Graded for its significance in marking an important phase in the development of the C 18 and C19 factory.
(RCHME, Historic Buildings Report, Royal Arsenal Woolwich, Vol. I, 1994; Wesley H, The Royal Arsenal: a brief history , London, 1987, pp.3, 11; Hogg O F G, The Royal Arsenal, Oxford, 1963, pp. 252-273; Pevsner N and Cherry B, The Buildings of England: London South, 1983, p.287)
Listing NGR: TQ4379479093
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings