History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dodington House

A Grade I Listed Building in Dodington, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5171 / 51°31'1"N

Longitude: -2.3581 / 2°21'29"W

OS Eastings: 375250

OS Northings: 179860

OS Grid: ST752798

Mapcode National: GBR 0NR.YF6

Mapcode Global: VH961.24R9

Entry Name: Dodington House

Listing Date: 17 September 1952

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1211169

English Heritage Legacy ID: 395713

Location: Dodington, South Gloucestershire, BS37

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Dodington

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Yate

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Tormarton

Listing Text

ST 77 NE DODINGTON C.P. DODINGTON PARK

6/54 Dodington House
17.9.52
G.V. I

House. 1796-1816. By James Wyatt for Christopher Bethell Codrington.
Limestone ashlar, slate and copper roofs. Roman classical style. West front of
2 storeys and 9 bays, central 5 bays set behind immense hexastyle portico with
Roman Corinthian columns of plinths and shallow pediment, central curved panelled
vault with one bay to each side having flat panelled ceiling. Central 5 bays on
plinth have 3 central tall round-headed openings, each with C20 glass doors, to
each side of central door a small niche containing a metal lion, 2 outer bays
slightly set forward with Roman Corinthianantae to each side and 2 freestanding
columns, have taller similar openings with similar doors set in recesses, string
course above; at first floor 3 central bays have balcony on scrolled and acanthus
console brackets with lion masks, cast iron screen of 5 panels with fluted
baluster between each, 3 C20 French windows in plain reveals, moulded string
course, 2 outer bays have stone balustrade between pilasters and similar French
window. 2 bays to each side of portico have 2 concealed basement windows below
moulded plinth, 2 large sashes in plain reveals at ground floor, band course, two
9-pane sashes at first floor, moulded string course, cornice and blocking course,
cast iron trellis with Greek key pattern in front at ground floor level; all
sashes with thin glazing bars. South front of 2 storeys with central attic bay,
2:3:2 bays, centre broken forward slightly with central bay recessed; central
tall C20 French window, side lights with recessed panel below each and recessed
panel on pilaster to each side, cornice and pediment, engaged Roman Corinthian
column to full height of elevation at each side, breaking through continuous band
course, 9-pane sash in moulded architrave at first floor; each side flanked by
Roman Corinthian pilaster, large sash in moulded architrave at ground floor with
recessed panel on apron and floating cornice, similar 9-pane sash at first floor;
frieze, cornice, attic storey over central bay with recessed panel and 3-pane
central window, plain pilaster to each side, cornice, balustrade to each side with
terminal die; 2 outer bays have moulded plinth, 2 large sashes in plain reveals
at ground floor, two 9-pane sashes at first floor, moulded string course, cornice
and blocking course. East elevation of basement and 2 storeys, 3:5:3 bays, outer
3 bays broken forward with semi-circular bow to full height; basement has lower
part in rusticated sandstone, 5 central 16-pane sashes, 3 similar sashes in bow to
right, bow to left has blocked window, French window and 16-pane sash, moulded
string course at cills of ground floor windows, all large sashes, band course,
9-pane sashes at first floor moulded string course, cornice and blocking course,
all windows in plain reveals. North elevation has 2 projecting wings in ashlar,
rest rendered, wing to left has 2 C20 French windows at basement level, large
recess at ground floor with segmental head and band course within, blind window at
first floor, string course and cornice returned from south elevation, similar
arrangement to right above Orangery (q.v.) with one 16-pane sash and blind window
at first floor; central bays have irregular windows, sashes and one 21-pane sash,
cornice and parapet, 2-storey block to left with external stair leading to door,
leaded dome with lantern, base boarded visible to left; north elevation previously
had attached servants wing, demolished 1932. Interior: vestibule has alcoves
with shallow guilloche mouldings and fanned domes; entrance hall the same length
as portico to west has 3 steps at either end, porphyry scagliola columns with
gilded composite capitals supporting a frieze set with lion masks, compartment
ceiling, to each end the ceiling has elliptical coving with gilded trophies of
arms in the corners, octagonal coffering taken from the Basilica of Maxentius, the
floor repeating the pattern of the ceiling in black marble, red stone and
Painswick stone with brass inlay, black marble and gilt fireplace to rear,
3 round-arched recesses to rear of room and central round-headed niche to each
side, at each side of niches, tall panelled doors. Opening to rear right of hall
leads to great staircase, planned on axis of vestibule leading to garden to south;
first flight divides on a landing to 2 parallel second flights, with ironwork,
made c.1760, Rococo style and possibly Italian, brought from Fonthill, Wiltshire
(demolished 1808), reeded handrail by Wyatt, with Regency balusters between
wrought iron panels, some rising above the rail as gasoliers (designed by Bramah);
first floor landing supported by 3 arches carried on fluted columns with composite
capitals, floor above has Corinthian columns, balconies either side leading to
passages, central lantern with ribbed dome. Library and drawing room on south
front divided by octagonal vestibule, with fine marble fireplaces, drawing room
has scagliola pilasters made by Bertoli and Alcott, fine doors with frieze over of
winged animals and urns, same frieze below cornice, panelled shutters to windows.
In course of restoration at time of survey (September 1984). (Sources: Verey,
D. : Buildings of England Gloucestershire : The cotswolds. 1970. Country Life
LV, 170-75, CXX 1176-9 and 1230-3).


Listing NGR: ST7525079860

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.