History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret and Linking Wing to Biddlesden Park House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Biddlesden, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0535 / 52°3'12"N

Longitude: -1.0783 / 1°4'41"W

OS Eastings: 463295

OS Northings: 239862

OS Grid: SP632398

Mapcode National: GBR 9X0.B5M

Mapcode Global: VHCWD.8N93

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret and Linking Wing to Biddlesden Park House

Listing Date: 13 July 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1211493

English Heritage Legacy ID: 396029

Location: Biddlesden, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, NN13

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Biddlesden

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Biddlesden

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Syresham

Listing Text

SP 63 NW BIDDLESDEN

2/16 Church of St Margaret
and link wing to
Biddlesden Park House
13.7.66

GV II*

Formerly chapel to Biddlesden Park house. Plaque above doorway inscribed
Henry Sayer DD 1735. Chequered brick with stone chamfered quoins, moulded
eaves cornice, window and door dressings. Hipped tiled roof. S. front:
one storey, 5 bays. Tall leaded windows with semi-circular arched heads
in Gibbs surrounds. Central panelled door in similar square-headed surround
with triple keyblock, pulvinated frieze and pediment. One similar window
to E. end. W. front continued to N. providing passage to house. 2 storeys
and attic with first floor stone band course. 7 bays. Centre bay has blind
stone arch with round window in pediment above. Remaining bays have blind
windows to ground floor and upper left hand bay, paired casements to first
floor, all with cambered arched heads and keyblocks. 2 dormers. Octagonal
wooden bellcote to centre. Interior: original fittings include communion
table, rails and pulpit; panels of Creed and Commandments in carved gilt
frames flanking E. window; . gallery of 2 orders, Doric below, Ionic above;
marble baluster font; Royal Arms 1723; panelled dado. C19 and early C20
glass.


Listing NGR: SP6329539862

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.