History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Normanton Prebend with Attached Garden Walls and Gates

A Grade II Listed Building in Southwell, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0772 / 53°4'37"N

Longitude: -0.9515 / 0°57'5"W

OS Eastings: 470335

OS Northings: 353840

OS Grid: SK703538

Mapcode National: GBR BK4.084

Mapcode Global: WHFHF.CX4B

Entry Name: Normanton Prebend with Attached Garden Walls and Gates

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Last Amended: 20 May 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1211643

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242335

Location: Southwell, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG25

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Southwell

Built-Up Area: Southwell

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Southwell St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Southwell

Listing Text

SOUTHWELL

CHURCH STREET
SK7053
1919-0/11/44 (North East side)
07/08/52 Normanton Prebend with attached
garden walls and gates
(Formerly Listed as:
CHURCH STREET
Normanton Preband House including
Railings and gatepiers)

GV II

Former prebendal house of Normanton, now a house, with
attached garden walls and gates. Built for Margaretta Tibson
c1766, probably incorporating parts of an early C18 house.
Brick with stone dressings and slate roof. 3-storey, 5-window
range, L-plan. First and second floor bands, dentilled eaves,
2 gable and 2 side wall stacks. Windows are glazing bar
sashes, renewed late C20, with keystoned lintels. Second floor
windows are smaller. Central flat-roofed Tuscan porch,
panelled door and overlight. To left, a late C19 hipped
addition carried on piers, with a double arched balcony.
Attached brick garden walls, the street side having a stone
coping and wrought iron railings. Central square panelled
gatepiers with cornices and urn finials. Pair of spiked
wrought iron gates. This building is one of the 9 remaining
prebendal houses formerly attached to Southwell Minster.
(Norman Summers: A Prospect of Southwell: London: 1974-:
86-88,90).


Listing NGR: SK7033553840

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.