This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9118 / 51°54'42"N
Longitude: -0.8038 / 0°48'13"W
OS Eastings: 482378
OS Northings: 224372
OS Grid: SP823243
Mapcode National: GBR D1S.1M6
Mapcode Global: VHDTS.06XR
Entry Name: Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 19 August 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1211972
English Heritage Legacy ID: 396497
Location: Dunton, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Dunton
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Dunton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 82 SW DUNTON MAIN ROAD
7/3 Church of
Parish church. C12 nave with S. wall rebuilt late C18, C13
chancel. Cl5 W. tower, all much restored late C18. Nave and
tower are of large stone blocks, squared and coursed with brick
repairs and dressings. Chancel is rendered. Slate roof to
nave, tiled chancel. Tower of 2 stages has clasping buttresses,
brick parapet and pointed single openings to bell chamber. W.
side has window with pointed arch but no tracery, and doorway
with moulded 4-centred arch. Nave has late C18 moulded stone
cornice and coped gables, and fragments of decorative Norman
masonry in walls. S. side has 2 round arched windows with brick
surrounds and leaded glazing in wooden Y frames. Head of
similar window to centre over 6-panelled door in late C18 gabled
porch, rendered with moulded wooden eaves and cornice broken by
round arch to front. N. wall has 2 similar windows, that to E.
in moulded stone surround with altered pointed arch. Blocked
C12 doorway to W. has round arch with chevron ornament, carved of
impost blocks, remains of lintel with interlace ornament, and one
dressed stone jamb. Chancel has small C13 lowside lancets to W.
S. side has similar lancet to centre, and C19 2-light traceried
window to E. N. side has similar C19 window to centre and narrow
square headed window to E. E. wall has C19 triple lancets, that
to centre taller. Interior: C12 chancel arch, altered C15 and
later, with pointed double chamfered arch, the outer order on
shafts with much worn carved caps, one with cable moulding. C15
chancel roof has moulded tie beams and queen struts to end trusses,
curved wind-braces, and altered hammer-beam truss to centre with
4-centred arch. N. wall of chancel has rectangular recess with
double opening, S. wall has C13 round arched piscina with roll
moulding, and blocked door. Nave has late C18 W. gallery on 4
small Doric columns and entablature; panelled front has inscriptions
with sayings of rectors. Box pews and pulpit of similar date.
Disused square C12 font in tower, C19 octagonal font in use.
Other fittings C19. Brasses: C15 small figures of couple with
scrolled inscriptions over inscription tablet to John Sotton and
wife 1518; early C16 figure of lady with child at her skirts.
RCHM II p. 101-2.
Listing NGR: SP8237824372
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings