History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of 16 Chest Tombs Approximately 1 Metre East of Chancel and to East of North Transept and North of Chancel of Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Witney, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7809 / 51°46'51"N

Longitude: -1.4848 / 1°29'5"W

OS Eastings: 435640

OS Northings: 209259

OS Grid: SP356092

Mapcode National: GBR 6VS.9FS

Mapcode Global: VHC02.6HXN

Entry Name: Group of 16 Chest Tombs Approximately 1 Metre East of Chancel and to East of North Transept and North of Chancel of Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 3 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1212130

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252609

Location: Witney, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX28

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Witney

Built-Up Area: Witney

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Witney

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Witney

Listing Text

WITNEY CHURCH GREEN
SF+35i19S (South side)
11/55 Group of 16 chest tombs
approx. lm. E of chancel and
to E of N transept and N of
chancel of Church of St. Mary
GV II

16 chest tombs. Two chest tombs approximately 1 metre east. Mid C18. Limestone.
Tomb to north, with cyma-moulded plinth and cornice, commemorates Richard
Ashlield, d.1792, and daughter Martha, d.1769. Tomb to south, with cyma-moulded
plinth and cornice, corner balusters and ovolo-moulding to inscription panel,
commemorates Ann Ashfield. Group of 14 chest tombs to east and north. Early C18
to early C19. Limestone. 4 plain early Cl8 tombs to north, centre one with
fielded pilaster panels. Early Cl9 tomb with beaded panels and moulded top, and
early C18 tomb with moulded cornice, are approximately 3 metres east of north
transept. To east is mid C18 tomb with rococo cartouche and corner balusters.
Tomb dated 1736, approximately 5 metres north of chancel, has moulded plinth and
cornice and fielded pilaster panels. Early Cl9 tombs to south-west and
south-east-east, each with fielded panels and moulded top. Tomb to south. with
moulded plinth and cornice and fielded pilaster panels, commemorates James
Houlton, d.1736. Tomb to east of this commemorates Walter Cowell. d.1720, and
has gadrooned lid. Two low mid C19 tombs are not of special architectural
interest.


Listing NGR: SP3564409254

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.